Lightdm fails to start after Dec. 6 updates

After Dec 6 updates, Manjaro XFCE fails to reach login screen. I find this about lightdm from systemctl status lightdm:

○ lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
         Loaded: error (Reason: Unit lightdm.service failed to load properly, please adjust/correct and reload service manager: File exists)
 Active: inactive (dead)
   Docs: man:lightdm(1)

Dec 12 05:35:49 Zotac systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Two services allocated for the same bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager, refusing operation.
Dec 12 05:49:19 Zotac systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Two services allocated for the same bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager, refusing operation.

``

How might I adjust/correct this error? Thank you for assistance.

are you using plymouth? if yes disable it and try again

Yes. How do I disable it?

systemctl disable lightdm-plymouth.service

Result of the suggested command:

○ lightdm-plymouth.service - Light Display Manager
 Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm-plymouth.service;         disabled; preset: disabled)

This did not fix the problem. In fact, after reboot I find lightdm was disabled as well:

○ lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
 Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; disabled; preset: disabled)

Net result: no change.

I reenabled lightdm and restarted. Now I get different errors than in the previous post:

× lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
 Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
 Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-12-12 06:46:52 MST; 2min 58s ago
  Duration: 1.459s
Process: 932 ExecStart=/usr/bin/lightdm (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Main PID: 932 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    CPU: 456ms

Dec 12 06:46:52 Zotac systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 10.
Dec 12 06:46:52 Zotac systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Dec 12 06:46:52 Zotac systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Dec 12 06:46:52 Zotac systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 12 06:46:52 Zotac systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

Are there further suggestions?

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
    (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

lightdm failed 10 times ! Why ?

What about the logfiles ?

• for lightdm
  • for xorg

Try looking for logs:

journalctl --boot=0 --unit=lightdm --no-pager

Thanks for your attempts to help here, but I decided to install sddm. I encountered a (hopefully) minor problem with that which I could not solve. I started a new thread about it.