Info about changes to zsh and powerlevel10k configs in latest update

I replaced the manjaro configs file following update with my own customised config from previous versions. I would be very thankful if someone could guide me about the changes that were brought in 2021/11/19 update, and if it is not recommended to continue with the previous config

Hi @Leo,

While I don’t use powerlevel10k, I can tell you that you can find any new configuration files for any software in the /etc/<program> directory, where the default configs files are saved, but as a *.pacnew file:

find /etc/ -type f -name "*.pacnew"

You should check for any new configuration files after each update.

To compare and merge said files, you can use meld. There is probably a better way to do this, but the way I do it, until I find said better way, is to run meld for each line returned. For example:

$ find /etc/ -type f -name "*.pacnew"

/etc/shiny-mirrors.conf.pacnew

The presence of a .pacnew file implies that there is a current config file to replace. Therefore, they have to be merged. So that’s quite easy then:

sudo meld /etc/shiny-mirrors.conf /etc/shiny-mirrors.conf.pacnew

This for every line in the output to the above find command.

The configuration files are usually quite well documented and self-explanatory, so that’s nothing to worry about IMHO. Also, it would be much easier to search online for 1 thing, than a blanked question like this one.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

In my opinion, it is better and simpler to use the dedicated tool made for that (for the .pacnew files), as probably some config files will not be found with your method, if not directly inside this specific folder, and as said, a tool from the package manager already handles that

pacdiff -o

you can even integrate meld with it directly so if you chose to view the difference it will use meld (but not recommended to run a GUI program with sudo, I use a different method on my side)

sudo DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff

//EDIT: actually pacdiff also searches in /etc/ I’m looking at the code right now :rofl: I guessed that maybe some other places could hold .pacnew files but maybe not

//EDIT2: I’m not sure why my post is selected as solution, but OK I guess…

2 Likes

The simpler method that I’m welcoming.

Thanks!

Edit:

I do realize that running GUI apps with sudo is not recommended, so please, could you provide me with a better way to do this?

2 Likes

Here is a part of a script I made (with some parts here and there collected through the years, copied, or advised, and so on) and use to manage multiple things, here is the part for .pacnew files

pacnews=($(/usr/bin/pacdiff --output|grep -v pacsave))
nb="${#pacnews[@]}"
if [[ $nb > 0 ]]; then
    echo; echo; echo -e "$nb .pacnew found in system"
    printf "%s\n" "${pacnews[@]}"
    echo; read -p "See the PacDiff? " -n 1 -r
    if [[ $REPLY =~ ^[YyOo]$ ]]; then
        echo; set -euo pipefail
        export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
        for i in $(/usr/bin/pacdiff --output|grep -v pacsave); do
            echo; echo "Processing $i ..."
            /usr/bin/meld "admin://$i" "admin://${i/.pacnew/}"
            echo; read -p "Delete the file $i? " -n 1 -r
            if [[ $REPLY =~ ^[YyOo]$ ]]; then
                echo; sudo rm -v "$i"
            fi
        done
    fi
fi

So basically the interesting part is to use the admin:// protocol for which I can’t find documentation for you :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you!

There should be no problems in using your own configs - that is what they are for :slight_smile:

I use a customized theme for zsh and this has given me zero issues over the years.

1 Like

Thank you @Mirdarthos and @omano for telling me the method . I could verify that there is not much of importance that was changed. I think i will keep my config for now

1 Like

I would also like to keep my config for longer time. I was worried though because since manjaro was updating the configs, something important may have been changed. After applying the methods by other commenters, it seems like there were not much changes.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.