Libre Office is very slow now...why?

I have used Libre Office for about 10 years and since the last update it has become real slow to start and ant to open files… How can I fix this problem?
Thank You!

1 Like

check this [Stable Update] 2023-06-04 - Kernels, Gnome 44.1, Plasma 5.27.5, Python 3.11, Toolchain, Firefox - #2 by philm

1 Like

I’ve ckecked it but there is no solution… The issue is still there for Libreoffice, Firefox and even nautilus

so what did you do?

I deleted xdg-desktop-portal-gnome but other apps like audacious and skype do not work properly…it’s still an issue
It used to work fine

So the slow startup is fixed, but now you have new problem?

Yes…I have a new problem… it’s a real bug

did you do the second command, intalling -gtk version of portal?

oh no I didn´t I just uninstalled xdg-desktop-portal-gnome—let me give it a try

well xdg-desktop-portal-gtk was already installed…

As expected. Then you have a problem with -gtk not working properly with those apps. I don’t know if there is anything that can be done to fix it, before -gnome gets fixed.

Seems you need to decide which of the bugs is worse, and wait or reinstall -gnome.

Final comment, try restarting after you removed -gnome and see if it helps.

well -gnome needs to get fixed…
restarting does not help at all
There is no other way than waiting for it.
Thank You Very Much!!

1 Like

Not sure why if you use Gnome, you’d be posting on an Xfce thread.

However as an Xfce user, since the recent update I had a similar issue like everyone else, where certain apps like LibreOffice, Firefox etc took ages to load. Having removed the Gnome portal, everything seems back to normal. In fact Firefox has never loaded faster.

I did not remove xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.

I am not using gnome. I use xfce… some apps slowed down after the update… it seems to have something to do with some gnome related apps…By the way. I had to reinstall xdg-desktop-portal-gnome because neither Skype nor telegram-desktop were able to make any calls… a real mess of a bug

I’ve just tried Audacious, and it’s working just fine, as is LibreOffice and Firefox, which were not working properly after the update. xdg-desktop-portal-gnome definitely needs deleting. xdg-desktop-portal-gtk can be left alone.

I can’t help about Skype as I don’t use it. But I note that it’s available from the AUR which is always a questionable idea, as I’ve had trouble in the past using apps from there, most notably VmWare, although that’s now fixed. But if that’s where you installed Skype from, there’s also a means of getting it from Snap or Flatpak, which is a better idea than relying on AUR apps.

Thank You Very Much
I will delete xdg-desktop-portal-gnome and will try using Skype from Flatpak or snap… That’s a good idea…

Just going to note that one of the reasons so many people have desktop-portal-gnome on other desktop is because of installing Flatpaks … which has a dependency on xdg-desktop-portal.
If you now have portal-gtk or some other backend then it shuldnt matter now.
Just mentioning it for posterity and understanding.
(whether it was a choice provided that users often ignored or if pamac made the choice for them I still dont know … but I am interested in the answer. )

Thank You… but the issue with Skype is still there… using Flatpak… I am really thinking of changing the distro because manjaro isn’t working properly…

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.