Libpamac and pamac-common package conflict

Hello.

I’m having yet another problem with my Manjaro installation.

I am not able to update my system, since I have this package conflict I am not able to solve, even after spending multiple hours researching that annoying issue.

The error message is:

:: libpamac and pamac-common are in conflict. Remove pamac-common? [y/N] 

I hope somebody can help me out with this problem, since I’m starting to consider switching distro, after many hours of unsuccessful troubleshooting.

Thanks for trying to help me out

Hi[

But this is your first post…

What happens if you type y ?

1 Like

Yes, it’s my first post - however my Manjaro experience has been quite devastating, even though I really liked the distro and even recommended it to friends the first few weeks while using it.

If I type “y” this happens:

:: libpamac and pamac-common are in conflict. Remove pamac-common? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing pamac-common breaks dependency 'pamac-common=10.0.6-2' required by pamac-cli

If I try to delete pamac-cli with pacman -R, this happens:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing pamac-cli breaks dependency 'pamac-cli<11' required by manjaro-application-utility
:: removing pamac-cli breaks dependency 'pamac-cli=10.0.6-2' required by pamac-gtk

Thanks for trying to help :wink:

This issue seems to arise from either faulty mirrors, faulty installation, or a failure to update over long periods of time. The last I can see any reference to this exchange is from 2 months ago, and I think it was old then.

We can quickly remove them skipping dependencies and add them back.

I am also going to add sorting mirrors to this…

sudo pacman -Rdd pamac-cli pamac-gtk
sudo pacman-mirrors -g && sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -Syu pamac-cli pamac-gtk
1 Like

It worked - it updated many packages, however it ended with the following errors:

735/735) checking keys in keyring                                                       [###################################################] 100%
(735/735) checking package integrity                                                     [###################################################] 100%
(735/735) loading package files                                                          [###################################################] 100%
(735/735) checking for file conflicts                                                    [###################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/docs/content/commands/npm-pkg.md exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/docs/output/commands/npm-pkg.html exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/index.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/exit-handler.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/format-bytes.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/queryable.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/.bin/color-support exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/@gar/promisify/index.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/@gar/promisify/package.json exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/@isaacs/string-locale-compare/LICENSE exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/@isaacs/string-locale-compare/index.js exists in filesystem
npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/@isaacs/string-locale-compare/package.json exists in filesystem

There were many more, all of them had the same error messages, just different paths

Exited with “Errors occured, no packages were upgraded”
Now it wants to do the same, starting full system upgrade again.

No idea what could cause the bug, should I uninstall npm?

Thanks for the big help :slight_smile:

Looks like you have been using something like sudo npm ...
Which is not correct usage … please see this for how to handle npm properly in the future:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Node.js

As to completing your transaction, you can remove or overwrite or backup the files, see this:

Thanks for the help - yep, I’ve always used sudo when installing packages globally.

Going to try the following script now:

sudo pacman -Rdd pamac-cli pamac-gtk
sudo pacman-mirrors -g && sudo pacman -Syyu --overwrite '*'
sudo pacman -Syu pamac-cli pamac-gtk --overwrite '*'

Thanks for the help, gonna give feedback, once done :slight_smile:

Uhh … you dont need to do that. You already removed the first packages and sorted mirrors.
And its probably not best to use a full overwrite on everything if you dont have to.

If you want to use the overwrite method please use

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite '/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/*'

That should be all you need now before reinstalling pamac-cli and pamac-gtk

1 Like

Woops - if I don’t answer within 1 hour, I probably bricked my system LMAO

Letting you know if everything worked well ASAP. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Script finished, pacman -Syu finally outputs “nothing to do” again <3

Restarted computer, everything works, including my display!

I really appreciate your help, big thanks :heart: :heart: :heart:

People like you make me love the internet, really appreciate the great welcoming!

Happy days … I think I will mark the first addressing of pamac-common conflict as solution.

Fair thee well linuxing :penguin:

(PS - oh and dont forget to look at those npm docs!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.