Libalpm.so.13: cannot open shared object file

I’m having trouble downloading any packages with pacman
The error I got:

sudo pacman -S yay

then
yay -S [ any packages]

yay: error while loading shared libraries: libalpm.so.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

How can I solve this problem?

Before posting you need to search a minimum: Search results for 'Libalpm.so.13: cannot open shared object file' - Manjaro Linux Forum
You also need to be up to date before reporting issues.

I searched for similar issues of course but it didn’t solve my problem

(Fully) Update your system:

$ sudo pacman -Syu

edit:

No, you don’t: the error is thrown by yay - not pacman.

1 Like

It seems you have a partially updated system, so what you you have to do (as others have stated) is update the system. On the other hand, you can not update with pacman as it is broken. Try to update with pamac:

pamac update

? libalpm.so.13 is with pacman 6, we are all with pacman 6 :wink: but not you… (bad mirror?)

I never update with Pamac. You’re wrong. All my updates I do with Pacman.

Sorry, but what are you talking about? I was answering to the OP. You are free to use whatever you want. So I can’t be “wrong”. It’s just a matter of taste. Anyway as far as I know pamac is the official and prefered package manager of Manjaro.

Note: Edited to clarify.

You said he can not update with pacman. This is wrong.

//EDIT: and Pacman is the official package manager, Pamac is the nice GUI for those preferring a GUI and more user (noob) friendly management.

OP can’t update with pacman right now as he gets the library dependency problem. That’s why I suggest to use pamac :smiley:

Yeah, I must admit I’m not sure of that (my statement)

But anyway you can see that this is just a misunderstanding, isn’t it?

yes, first message is is confused, but I understand that it does not have an error with pacman, it is just after installing yay (without “-y”) that it has an error with yay. So i suppose than pacman (5) run also well

<del>Here I beg to differ. There is a library dependency problem, so pacman it’s going to fail in any case.</del>

Edited: Or maybe I have read the OP message wrong all along. Sorry for the misunderstanding! :smiley:

Because his system is in partial upgrade state. He doesn’t have the proper pacman version so he should pacman -Syyu as already stated.

1 Like

The library comes with the pacman package.
Unless he just grabbed the pacman binary instead of installing the package, this issue can not happen with pacman.

Altough OP states there is an issue with pacman, the output he has given is telling that he’s trying to use yay… (which seems to be an outdated version)

Yes, that’s probably why I thought that the error came when he run the pacman command. It seems I didn’t read thoughtfully the message.

1 Like

Actually I thought so too first. That OP post is somewhat confusing :crazy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.