lesson well learnt

we went shopping saturday when we got home electricity was off I went to change my clothes while changing the electric came back on but didnt appear to be very strong somehow the computer tried to boot I smelt something burning I tried to turn off computer but it wouldnt stop so I tried to pull the power cord out it was red hot,the electric shut down again the end result was power supply unit in computer got fried expensive experience I have since purchased a ups unit to protect the computer from further electric spikes

2 Likes

Well, scheiße.

Rest in peace poor little power supply.

This reminds me of days 20 years ago... Lower voltage then it suppose to be, often power outages... Now there has been no (unplanned) power outage since many years.

I'd say, you were lucky that it affected only the power supply and all the other hardware was unharmed. :wink:

1 Like

As @michaldybczak stated the lower voltage condition (AKA: brown-out) used to occur frequently in the middle of very hot summers when everyone's AC unit was working at max capacity sucking more electrons than the utility could produce. Since then many devices have incorporated under-voltage protection as well as over-voltage, but not all as you found out. UPS units are a good investment. They're just too darned expensive to protect everything.

this happens often here when a storm is coming they turn the power off and turn it back on in a few seconds but sometimes when they do that something goes wrong and we have no electric till they fix what went wrong

they fry their own breakers at the sub-station. I have a UPS but need to get a much larger one (around 2000 VA) for my gaming PC as I'm not comfortable with the current one's run time. I'll get a Salicru and some IEC specification C14 to C15 leads soon as my existing UPS has normal 3-pin UK sockets. Mine runs for 3 minutes on full load which is only just about enough to shutdown. I'll re-purpose the existing UPS elsewhere.

so thats it wondered what went on

No. This was because of the old and primitive infrastructure. We never had power outages during summer because we don't get hot summers too often or too long (for example, we didn't have hot summers since years and this year we got unusually hot June and now we have very, also unusually, cold July) and 20 years ago we didn't even know what air conditioning were. AC units are not needed often in our climate. They are mostly used in corporate buildings, hotels, but not in private homes or apartments.

1 Like

Yeah, I know that feeling. Some years back, while at my old house, I had 4 drives dying in a row, for no appearent reason. I finally found out, that I had neighbours with "interesting approach to electrics", meaning that I quite often had 400V spikes on my 230V phases (i found this by measuring over several days). I bought and APC UPS to put in front of all my sensitive electrinics, servers and machines - leveling out bad voltages. Havent had a disk die ever since. Best 200 EUR ever spend.

yes i puchased a schnieder ups it did its job yesterday very happy now

Im somewhat biased towards APC/Schneider UPS, being a datacenter architect for multiple years. They have been the obvious choice for my clients - hence it was an easy choice for my personal use.

yes the guy I buy my computer stuff off here in Thailand pointed me to it the previous one failed but it was a cheap thai one bot all good now mate
regards Ron

One thing you also might want to consider if you have regular power outages, (or brown-outs, where voltage is below standard), is to set your PC in BIOS to not attempt to power back up after sudden power loss. That way you can at least confirm in person that it's safe to bring your kit back online.

A UPS however is definitely a worthwhile investment, as is a decent surge-protector.

1 Like

This is a must IMO. I have no idea why many bios have this as the default behavior. Well I guess it sells more mobo's that way? :crazy_face:

Perhaps :laughing:

I think it's more to do with the ability to remotely manage hardware that you do not physically have regular access to. No one wants to drive a few hundred miles just to press a button.. :wink:

Ah yes, I had never considered that. To me for home use applications this setting should never be enabled.

I read somewhere on this thread that ups is to expensive i totally disagree with that unless you don't value your data.
Also, my battery died a couple of years ago, so now I use a motorcycle lead free dry battery ok its bigger and sits next to the ups does the job.
Seeing we have multiple outage's ans dropouts/surges daily.

so where do you live to have bad electricity like that

Northern Peru, it is the same in many parts of Latin America. India. Africa, Asia, the big cities are better off here in remote parts there is no electric no water no phone. And no plans for them in the future.