Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 5 mic mute button not working

Heya there,

I’ve had a Manjaro i3 install on my X1C5G for a while now.
The mic unmute hotkey never worked (I figured it might be time to fix this). I mean the Fn+F4 combination.
I am using PulseAudio. With pavucontrol open, hitting the key yields nothing.
It is possible to toggle the LED on and off with echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/platform\:\:micmute/brightness

Running xinput test 11 (where 11 is the ThinkPad Extra Buttons slave keyboard) and hitting the key shows:

key press   198 
key release 198 

Running xmodmap -pke yields:

keycode 196 = XF86Launch9 NoSymbol XF86Launch9
keycode 197 =
keycode 198 = XF86AudioMicMute NoSymbol XF86AudioMicMute
keycode 199 = XF86TouchpadToggle NoSymbol XF86TouchpadToggle

Anything I’m missing?
Many thanks in advance!

Did you set up a keybinding for XF86AudioMicMute?

Something like this in your i3 config:

bindsym XF86AudioMicMute exec --no-startup-id pactl set-source-mute @DEFAULT_SOURCE@ toggle

(I’m unsure about the @DEFAULT_SOURCE@, I don’t have such button on my keyboard.)

Nice :slight_smile: That did the trick.
Though I am a bit confused. If I look at /etc/i3/config I see the following around L40:

# Use pactl to adjust volume in PulseAudio.
set $refresh_i3status killall -SIGUSR1 i3status
bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +10% && $refresh_i3status
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ -10% && $refresh_i3status
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-mute @DEFAULT_SINK@ toggle && $refresh_i3status
bindsym XF86AudioMicMute exec --no-startup-id pactl set-source-mute @DEFAULT_SOURCE@ toggle && $refresh_i3status

My assumption was that the configuration from this file was used as some fallback, with the values in the file at ~/.i3/config being used as overrides. But after a short RTM session I see now that i3 takes the configuration solely from the home directory, not from etc. And there’s obviously no include statement to point to the config at etc from the home-dir one.

Many thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.