Xscreensaver issues

Hi there. I’m not sure i 'm picked right subforum form my question but need HELP.

• How to properly autostart installed xscreensaver on my Manjaro KDE Plasma (x11) ???!!!

I put it in AutoStart with the parameter in Arguments xscreensaver --no-splash but the screensaver doesn’t load with the system, I changed the nosplash parameter in several different versions but nothing happens. . . :frowning:

Any HELP please.

Probably see the wiki. There are especially caveats for plasma.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/XScreenSaver#Usage

In the system settings → workspace behavior → screen locking

That is likely to change when Plasma 6 is released next year.

incorrect… in order to run xscreensaver, you need to disable the screen blanking and monitor power management nside of plasma… otherwise they will clash with each other.

I am to assume you installed xscreensaver from pamac or similar? Then in startup and shutdown click add application and add xscreensaver. edit the properties and add -no-splash to the arguments.

I use xscreensaver and let it control all the powermgmt. I also created a keyboard shortcut to xscreensaver-command -lock to meta-L (ie the windows-L) to lock immediately. run xscreensaver-demo to set options. If you need to start the daemon you can do it from there, The daemon has to be running in order to run the screensavers.

1 Like

That’s the point.
All disabled in Screen Locking and Power management so i only need a proper syntax to autostart xscreensaver splashed. Just that :frowning:

I take it you have not followed/read the link?

And that link which has

Notably the launch part you are after is:

1 Like

@cscs
I have read everything you sent/wrote, but I don’t have more than half of those folders and files, especially on this newest Manjaro KDE installation, so I can’t manage it on proper way, unfortunately :frowning:

The override file is not expected to exist - you create it.

The xscreensaver desktop file is provided by the package, you should have it.

…so what exactly is the problem ?

1 Like

I have to write later in the day because now I go to work on a morning shift that lasts until 03:00PM local time (and now it’s 04:45AM for me). I report everything that happens.
Bye.

All well done.
I have created all override files and folders and now my XscreenSaver load with system and working like a charm!!!

THX A LOT FOR HELPING!

I was thought it’s all well done but i still have a problem i don’t know how to solve but the post is closed for posting :frowning:
My XScreenSaver daemon don’t autostarting :frowning:
I have got a message “Daemon is not running on display 0” or something similar and i have run it manually from Konsole to start ‘xscreensaver-demo’ and run Daemon manually from that point.

I am loosing my religion (hair too :slight_smile: ). . . :frowning:

Any HELP?

I can tell you this:

Even if you get it to work, it will stop working when plasma 6 is out and most likely will not get fixed. Plasma 6 will be wayland only and xscreensaver is x11 only.

So maybe pick your “battles”?

I guess we could double check the file;

cat ~/.config/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop

@cscs
Yes we could. Here is outout:

cat ~/.config/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop                                                                 ✔ 
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Screensaver;Security;GNOME;GTK;KDE;Motif;Qt
Comment[en_GB]=XScreenSaver daemon: screen saver and locker
Comment=XScreenSaver daemon: screen saver and locker
Exec='xscreensaver -no-splash &'
GenericName[en_GB]=
GenericName=
Icon=xscreensaver
MimeType=
Name[en_GB]=XScreenSaver
Name=XScreenSaver
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Till it comes i have enough time.

Sorry I forgot about this.

I noticed you were missing a dash

Maybe also try with full path

Exec=/usr/bin/xscreensaver "--no-splash &"

With or without dash and with or without full path all is the same :frowning:
No Xscreensaver at startup :frowning:

cat ~/.config/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop                                                                 ✔ 
[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_GB]=XScreenSaver daemon: screen saver and locker
Exec=/usr/bin/xscreensaver "--no-splash &"
GenericName[en_GB]=
GenericName=
Icon=xscreensaver
MimeType=
Name[en_GB]=XScreenSaver
Name=XScreenSaver
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-Username=

Maybe try trimming it down to what is roughly the upstream equivalent (I could find)

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=xscreensaver --no-splash &
Icon=xscreensaver
Name=XScreenSaver
Type=Application
Terminal=false

And if that does not work try it the way we get around weird autostart parsin in xfce, etc;

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=/usr/bin/sh -c "xscreensaver --no-splash &"
Icon=xscreensaver
Name=XScreenSaver
Type=Application
Terminal=false

ALEA IACTA EST !!!
My XscreenSaver autostart daemon finally worked!
The problem was that I wasn’t seeing any error messages after starting the daemon from the console. The main and only error was something like ‘The C language library is missing’ or something similar. After that I loaded C from regional settings and had to remove the ‘&’ parameter so now xscreensaver starts automatically and works like a charm.
Here is output:

cat ~/.config/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop                                                                        15s
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=xscreensaver --no-splash
GenericName=
Icon=xscreensaver
MimeType=
Name=XScreenSaver
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-Username=

THX A LOT !!!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.