Wifi no connections available

I have a MS Surface Pro 3 with Debian Bookworm on it. Wifi works fine, and inxi -Fazy shows
Device-1: Marvell 88W8897 [AVASTAR] 802.11ac Wireless vendor: SafeNet
driver: mwifiex_pcie v: 1.0 pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 11ab:2b38 class-ID: 0200
IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac:

There is space for another distro, so I am trying to check out Manjaro.

The live usb shows no connection available in the network manager.

When I boot to Manjaro, I can run lspci, lsmod, and inxi, but have no easy way to get the info where I can post it. Tried mounting the home partition from Debian, but any files I make are invisible when I go back to Debian.

It looks like most of the results from the above commands are very similar to what I get in Debian. The device is detected, and the same modules are installed

There must be a config file I have to modify to get connected. Any help would be marvellous.

nmcli device show => only shows loopback device
mhwd -l => MHWDCONFIG is invalid
rfkill => no output
rfkill unblock => no ouput

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

1 Like

No easy way to post the information. No wifi. No transfer of data from one box to another.

None of the posts I have read seem to directly apply to me.

Installing drivers and rebooting would serve no purpose on the live USB.

Well, you’re going to need to connect it to the Internet or otherwise get data onto it to fix it. There’s plenty of info on the Internet, but the summary is that the firmware is not installed by default. You need to install the linux-firmware-marvell package to make this Wifi chip work (info from Garuda Linux forums, which is also based on Arch).

While you’re here, you may want to look at the Linux Surface project and their install instructions for Arch to get any other unusual hardware working.

As it turns out, I needed linux-firmware-marvell to enable wifi. It is not in the live iso. I downloaded it to an SD card and installed it, but to use it I had to reboot, which put me back in the same position.

Once I installed Manjaro fully, it was easy to add the firmware

sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt/tmp
sudo pacman -U /mnt/tmp/linux-firmware-marvell...

Piece of cake.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.