Applications taking a long time to start

Hi,

I’m running into an issue where many applications are taking a long time to start (30 seconds or so). I put this under gnome because it affects many applications, not just one.

I ran “strace evince” and this is the call where the application gets stuck before eventually continuing.

poll([{fd=10, events=POLLIN}], 1, 25000

gnome-screenshot also gets stuck at the same poll. Firefox gets stuck too, but if I have a firefox window open and I try to open a new one it doesn’t get stuck there.

I found a post in the arch forum which seems to be similar to my issue, but I didn’t understand the fix. I get an error when pasting links, but you can find it if you google “[SOLVED] Firefox takes 30 seconds to start.” It pointed me to the xinit page on the arch wiki, but I already had xinit installed, and I’m not sure what else to take away from there.

One thing to note is that I didn’t have this issue earlier, I had been on vacation for a couple of weeks starting on the last weekend of May and only noticed this issue once I was back. I was trying to get an android phone with a broken screen connected to my computer so I installed and uninstalled some packages related to mtp. Not sure if I screwed something up there.

Thanks for help.

1 Like

Give the Stable Updates Announcement a read (known issues, 06-04-2023)

3 Likes

if you have xdg-desktop-portal-gnome, uninstall it. It is a known issue/bug. You can leave the -gtk variant, but the -gnome variation make problems, at least on XFCE.

1 Like

Well … There was never any reason to have both.
And no desktop besides gnome should be using xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.
(usually it was pulled as a dependency of something like flatpak when the user was not paying attention … gnome is the first suggestion based an alphanumeric order)

2 Likes

You didn’t say if there was a full update done, but I’m assuming there was one. There is always the chance this isn’t your issue, but if you query Manjaro’s forum, you’d see it being asked a lot, and the answer has been answered multiple times.

No ifs, ands or buts, a Manjaro user needs to read the “Stable Update Announcements”, at least the first 2 posts. Manjaro is a rolling release and packages are constantly being updated and upgraded. The Announcement, for a Manjaro user, is the Release Notes, Change Log, and Instruction manual. It tells a user what has changed, if there are any additional steps to take, and any known issues (and solutions).

Snippet from the Stable Update Announcement:

NOTE: Clicking on the arrow in the Stable Update Announcement will expand the contents showing the action to take.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the answers. My apologies for not searching the forums well enough, and I think I’ve learned my lesson when it comes to installing updates without reading the announcements. I removed xdg-desktop-portal-gnome and the issue is resolved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.