Learning Linux (How can I start learning) A noob coming from Windows

I’m a noob
This may be the first time to use Linux and I want to learn more about it and how to use the terminal

Is Manjaro a suitable distribution for someone new to the Linux world?

1 Like

Try these… :arrow_down:

https://linuxnewbies.org/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/

3 Likes

Never heard of this, BTW.

mounjaro sorry I wrote it wrong manjaro

How…

How dis you manage to spell it differently twice?

If you’re willing to put in the work to learn and overcome any habits and preconceptions that Windows has indoctrinated you with, then yes. :wink:

There are plenty of distros out there that are “easier”, but the problem is that they tend to lock you into their idea of how the system should be used, and as such, they keep you from learning.

As a result, there are loads of people who’ve been using — say — Ubuntu or Mint for many years, and who are still asking the same dumb questions because they’ve never learned to think for themselves and abandon their Windows habits. Some of them don’t even know what’s in their menus or how to change their wallpaper. :man_shrugging:

Manjaro makes it easy for you to install and update your system, but you are expected to act responsibly and make an effort to understand at least the basics. People coming to Manjaro with the expectation of finding a consumer-grade kitchen sink appliance will be disappointed. :wink:

By the way, the #contributions:tutorials section of the forum is full of good stuff. You might want to look around in there. :wink:

The same way you dis it, I guess. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Hmmm :thinking: I don’t think I have any idea about this Monjaro :rofl: distribution.

Jokes aside I think you should try using distro that are popular and has lots of support for. You should not be distro hopping quite frequently in short intervals because all you are doing at the end is giving yourself a headache.
It isn’t about distribution that you should follow. It is what package manager do you prefer : (apt, dnf or pacman) and second what environment are you comfortable with : (gnome, kde, deepin)
Now there are something called as window manager but being beginner I don’t want you to go down this alley but in short you write the rules for your own windows. It’s like building Lego world from scratch with only difference it’s really god damn harder and will take up significant hours to learn. Don’t worry you will get to know clearly all about this in time.

I remember my only wish was to change the wallpaper of login screen in Ubuntu when I started fresh in Linux about 3 and half years back. I have travelled long way since then but not as much as I could have. In your linux journey you are going to encounter lots of issues and problems but nothing is as great teacher as that piece of puzzle in front of you. I think you should definitely follow Arch Wiki for a reason it’s the best wiki out there.

Feel free to ask me and this forum anything(following guidelines) for we all are here for you and everyone wanting to learn and solve issues
Hope you have a great day :slight_smile:

Edit: Terminal tips: don’t copy command from Internet. There is this book called Linux pocket guide which is really good as I feel. Here are some commands that will also help

program-name --help
man program-name

This is all I do to figure out what the program I intend to use does.
It is not necessary that you remember everything but this two command will help you figure out everything that you need most of the time. If not ask us. :wink:

1 Like

Urgh…

Well, at least I disn’t do it twice…

:wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.