Grub efi boot menu gone after initramfs rescue

Hi there team,

Today I’ve had a Kernel Panic at boot time due to a read error on initramfs. (I suspect my crappy Crucial nVME to be the root cause and sure not blaming on Manjaro here).

In any case, I could get things back to normal with the following from a live USB boot:

sudo su

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvmen1p2 ssd ( here > name of the drive )

mount /dev/mapper/ssd /mnt

mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/

chroot /mnt

sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub

That got my system back up.

Although, before that, I’ve had a nice Manjaro UEFI boot menu proposing to boot Manjaro OR the Windows OS installed on a // SSD drive. This is not showing anymore.

Is there anything I could do to get that menu back?

Thanks a lot,
Kind regards,
M.

Ok found my solution:

sudo os-prober
[sudo] password for bob: 
/dev/sda2@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi

sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda2@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Root filesystem isnt btrfs
If you think an error has occurred, please file a bug report at "https://github.com/Antynea/grub-btrfs"
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
Found memtest86+ EFI image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.efi
done

Thanks,
Regards,
Mokaz

No idea what you been drinking or smoking but your topic title and problem and most of all “solution” all clash with each other…

:vulcan_salute:

well, if from no boot/Kernel Panic back to normal operations sounds to you like “clashing with each other” I’d be delighted to know more about your perceptions of things indeed…

1-initramfs read error → fixed with chroot/grub update on luks encrypted drive from usb live boot.
2-lost boot menu in operation #1 → fixed with sudo grub-update in normal boot.

Enlighten me if you’d had done things differently.

1. Title:
    “Grub efi boot menu” means the UEFI boot entry to use Grub, which can NOT disappear due to “initramfs rescue”
    Because that is stored in the NVRam, which has nothing todo with your corrupted drive, and your initramfs is only used/seen by the kernel not your UEFI.

2. Restoring Grub has nothing todo with a corrupted encrypted drive.
    Because the Grub you reinstall will be placed in an un-encrypted partition called “ESP”, and the initramfs you re-create is placed inside the encrypted partition.
    Hence the two use different partitions, which can be on totally different drives.

3. Re-creating a UEFI-Boot entry is a totally different problem from the above.

4. “after initramfs rescue” Means the part before it is caused by your rescue action, which again is impossible…
    Because a rescue operation means just a replacement of a file that was corrupted.

5. A problem due to corrupted drive can not be fixed with a simple reinstall of your bootloader unless that’s the only one that had corruption, which i highly doubt.

So yea what you did might have solved your combined problems for now, but they clash when squeezed together and presented as one…
:vulcan_salute:

I would have only re-created the initramfs using update-initramfs :vulcan_salute:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.