Latest Update [2019-11-08] until [2019-11-17] - kernels 4.14 and 4.19 broken

With the latest set of manjaro32 packages the kernels 4.14 and 4.19 are broken on my setup. The system cannot mount the root filesystem (btrfs compressed with lzo). Grub and fstab seem correct.
As a workaround I used arch-chroot from my archlinux32 install and installed an arch32 kernel linux-pae. This one booted just fine.

Just a warning for other manjaro32 users.

5 Likes

It is now fixed with the latest unstable update from [2019-11-19].
Kernels 4.19 and 4.14 now boot. Kudos @jonathon!
Somehow 4.9 and 4.4 are missing support for brtrfs compression, but it is lzo and should be supported.

3 Likes

Thank you & Jonathon for your work. I too have faced this problem and could not reach desktop because lightdm failed. I am away from this machine so cannot see if it will now get fixed. The latest update on unstable branch gives me this error:
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing python (3.8.0-1.0) breaks dependency 'python<3.8' required by menulibre
I am updating other modules by ignoring python 3.8.0-1.0. and will report back if I encounter any problems.

Remove menulibre.

Thank you for the suggestion. But after the upgrade cannot reach desktop at all. On the desktop, I got a blinking cursor and so could use TTY to login and try different options. But even then switching branches and using sudo pacman -Syyuu did not fix anything. I cannot try your suggestion on this laptop because I cannot reach the desktop and so am using a USB image to login and caution other users not to update till things are really fixed. I await suggestions and am fine with the temporary difficulty. Thanks

In the meanwhile I am going to try using Option 3 on the Grub menu to access tty and see if I can switch to the stable branch and do a Syyuu. If it works I will report back. Thanks

Don't you know the command to remove a package? https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacman_Overview#Removing_Packages

Install pacui for an easier package management from the terminal.

I did as mentioned in the above post but before switching branches I downgraded linux419. Luckily here unlike my desktop which has an ATI AGP card, I was able to use Syyuu to downgrade all the updates and then use startx to reach desktop. I have since rebooted and reached the desktop without an issue but switching to "Unstable" branch and updating is not advisable at this stage. After switching to Stable branch I do not find any package called menu-libre.

Thank you for your assistance. I am not sure if I move back to "Unstable" and update without menu-libre if it will work. If you suggest I try it, I am game. Let me know.

If you have a working system at the moment then don't switch to the unstable branch.

2 Likes

Yes, I do have a working system now and will not experiment for the sake of experimenting because I do not have a spare machine at my present location if things fo wrong. Thanks

Despite your advice and my own caution, I did a back up and decided to experiment after removing menulibre. I switched branches and the Update went fine and I am back at the desktop without a hitch on the "Unstable" Branch. As both you and Jonathon have confirmed Linux419 & 414 are really fixed. Thanks

1 Like

But consider installing a second system on that machine.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 supports a 64bit OS, by the way.

1 Like

I had no issues with my 4.9 and 4.14 kernels on Manjaro32 stable on ext4.

Probably the issue was on btrfs only.

Thanks @jonathon for this update :slight_smile:

1 Like

btrfs-progs got updated on 2019-11-18 (https://manjaro.moson.eu/x32-unstable/core/i686/), I applied the update today. It could have been exactly this package that resolved the issue.

Thank you for your suggestions but the CPU on this machine is a T2400 and only 32 bit capable. I used to dual boot with Peppermint O/S 32 bit earlier but I did not find it as efficient as Manjaro. Nevertheless, thank you for going beyond the call of duty as one may say. Thanks

The latest set of updates gives the following error:error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'python-ordered-set' required by python-setuptools
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'python2-ordered-set' required by python2-setuptools

I have updated without python-ordered-set and python2-ordered-set. Will await further suggestions. Thanks

Python-setuptools has been fixed by maintainer and so I could upgrade it. Python2-setuptools still remains to be fixed. Downloaded python2-ordered-set 3.1.1-1 from archlinux. After this was installed python2-setuptools has got upgraded. Have since completed updates on unstable branch which came in lists containing 54, 8 & 7 updates respectively. No problems after updates. Thanks

Trying to update :
The file /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20191018-2.0-any.pkg.tar.xz is damaged (PGP signature)
Do you want to eliminate it?

Would you like to try solutions mentioned in this post.

I don't think it would harm to run through the rest of the commands. If it still fails try at the end

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/{archlinux,manjaro}-keyring*.pkg.tar.xz

As mentioned in the post from @jonathon linked to above and after that again:

sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro
sudo pacman -Syyu

I think this should work

Forum kindly sponsored by