Latest GRUB update misses Windows entry and some other OSes

grub

Hi,
Just to ask if some else has seen this strange behaviour:
I just updated the system ( as usual via CLI pacman ) and noticed a new grub version.

As usual ( since kernel 4.18.x ) GRUB os-probe takes 12 minutes to check all the HDDs, so I let it run .

But after rebooting in the GRUB menu was updated but it lacked MS Windows and some other HDD Linuxes.

Putting in context:
I have 1 SSD ( Manjaro installed ) and 3 HDD; each HDD has their one local GRUB MBR installed.
I am commenting the detail in the SSD GRUB MBR boot installation.

I know that Manjaro is a bit picky with GRUB so …

The update action did add and entry for “RED Core Linux” in another HDD (with a GPT table ) but missed the MS Windows in their own SSD .

The same grub-update action from Anti-X 17 ( with an older GRUB version, pointing to the local HDD with a GPT table ) did got correctly the Windows and other linuxes …

Any comments or ideas ?

[Solved] Strange GRUB behaviour - sda GRUB not working

As root run os-prober, then update-grub

As far as I know the “update grub” script calls the “os-prober” automatically.
( that was why I had the “Red Core Linux” added to the grub list )

Nonetheless I did execute os-prober manually ( got the windows entry and all the other entries),
listed several strange file descriptor 3 lines …

( I am away from the designated machine until the next 10 hours, so I will report the os-prober errors as soon as I have access … )

Edit:
The errors are :

File Descriptor 3 (dev/tty1) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe
File Descriptor 9 (pipe: [222243] ) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe
File Descriptor 3 (dev/tty1) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe
File Descriptor 9 (pipe: [222243] ) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe

Nonetheless I noticed that it missed the Anti-X Linux …

Any ideas ?

why is Anti-X Linux entry missing ?

If I call update-grub ( old version 2.02 beta ) from inside Anti-X Linux ( sdc ) it will detect Red-Core Linux and others …

Any comments ?

I think I have read something earlier on the forum - many months ago - about lsb_release (or another component identifying the distro) which when not present make the grub configuration script exclude entries that cannot be identified properly.

Hi, again…

After some troubles with the /dev/sda I got this issue solved in a strange way …
Because in the /dev/sdc I use it to install and test different distros …
In the final installation section (GRUB ) of the Anti-X ( and afterwards even MX Linux )

Selecting the option to the correct HDD ( /dev/sdc ) something happens and GRUB get functional and installed correctly.

Although I still have some distro ( at this point I do not remember which ) that are not still recognized and do not have an entry in the GRUB menu …

Thanks for the support …