Laptop's performances are low considering that it's running Manjaro

why? - if it isn’t misbehaving, it’ll be done indexing shortly and no longer impact performance

I, of course, would disable it on general principle (Pulp Fiction reference intended …).
But that is just me. :nerd_face:

1 Like

baloo is always misbehaving… and if there is slowness/lagging on a fresh kde install, its almost always because of baloo

Whow - that IS a bad reputation I see there. :slightly_smiling_face:

Warning: a version of config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee' is already installed!
Use -f/--force to force installation...

Did it right now. I’ll see how laptop is going to behave after some time with Baloo disabled.

That’s not really true. Baloo is not always misbehaving. On my system I configured it to exclude certain folders (one that have frequent changes) and it behaves perfectly well.

1 Like

and you are also having bumblebee/ 390xx drivers, which are a terrible mess, they are old and not supported, and can cause all kinds of graphical issues…
the best option would be to check in bios/uefi if there is a option/setting for disabling nvidia and using only intel, which it should be… so go check it out, and if there is such a option, dont switch, otherwise you will get stuck on a black screen, and report back, then we install the proper drivers…

There is a time where I’d have agreed. But that’s long ago.

If it’s configured properly, I.e.: not set to index everything, I excluded everything on my HDD’s and all directories with a lot of files, which just happen to be on my HDDs, it now works without me even noticing it.

My settings:

Imgur

1 Like

yes i know, i was saying it jokingly…

Yes - this is a known issue but not caused by Manjaro

I am currently using Intel’s GPU.

yes i agree, but newbies dont know that, they dont even know what baloo is, they just have a slow/laggy system, and baloo is the reason, because by default its set up to index everything…

This is well known that full disk encryption slows down the loading while in the decryption phase.

This is how it is - the only real workaround is to use systemd boot

no you dont, you have both cards active, but the nvidia has no drivers available, because of the bumblebee drivers… thats why you should check the bios/uefi options and report back

Anyways, my BIOS is garbage, so I dont have that option, but by default, Manjaro chose to use Intel’s GPU.

Oh okay. I see that both are used. I dont have option in bios for that.

That doesn’t mean Baloo is at fault. It only does what it’s configured to do, and to be honest that’s rare…

That said, perhaps an option to enable/disable indexing can be added to the installer?

:man_shrugging:

thats right, there should be done something about baloo, because on older computers its noticable…

i see, you have HP, i thought you have lenovo or dell, who have this option…
i would suggest to install the open source drivers instead and trying to disable the nvidia via udev rules, but i have no idea if it would work, but we could try it, so what do you say?

Do you think that doing that will improve laptop performance? Should I continue using integrated GPU or Nvidia?

you are now using the bumblebee drivers, which are not good… so do you have grub menu shown during boot?
were going to uninstall the bumblebee and install the video linux and switch to the 5.10 / 5.4 kernel…