Laptop will not sleep

I have a Dell XPS 9380 and it will not sleep or hibernate. I’m not so bothered by hibernate not working but the not sleeping thing is a pain.

System: Host: taco Kernel: 5.10.15-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Type: Laptop System: Dell product: XPS 13 9380

1. I click the “Sleep / Suspend to ram” option
  2. The computer screen immediately goes black but I can see the mouse cursor but the mouse will not move
  3. About 15 seconds and the screen comes back to the logon prompt

Any ideas or things I can check?

cheers
James

Have you tried giving it an Ambien?

OK, I’ll let myself out.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

3. what’s the output of:

systemctl suspend

and when it comes also back after 15 seconds, what’s the output of:

sudo dmesg | tail --lines=50  

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU or Kernel you have, …

Thanks for the suggestions Fabby. I don’t know what happened but it just suddenly started working without any changes by me. Crossing my fingers it stays working :slight_smile:

Then it’s probably one of the applications that you’re running and you’ll notice that every now and then it will stop working again.

If you do find the specific application that is causing problems, file a bug with the application maintainer.

:wink: