Laptop stalls after 15-20 minutes

Hello. My Toshiba Satellite C655-S5307 (Intel Core i3) freezes up after being on for 15-20 minutes at which time I have to do a hard shutdown. Have not had system monitor open at the time to see what is happening. Is there a log or some way to find out what is causing the freeze-up? The fan starts to rev and then the mouse pointer stops responding.

Thank you.

Update: just ran it for 30 minutes and it was fine. Not sure what is happening.

You can get he log for the last boot with:
journalctl -b-1 -p4 --no-pager

Also post the output of:
inxi -Fazy

Considering your laptop uses Mobile Intel ® HD graphics with 64MB-1696MB dynamically allocated
shared graphics memory I guess you probably running out of memory if you running anything graphics heavy on the model with 4GB ram. If there’s no swap it will crash for sure.

2 Likes

High GPU usages → it gets hot → it cannot keep up → freeze.

journalctl --boot=-1
journalctl --boot=-1 --dmesg --grep="i915|radeon|amdgpu|nvidia|nouveau"
3 Likes

Gentle shut down a suddenly hanged PC to minimize a chance of getting a broken filesystem and data loss:

https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/sysrq.html

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

1 Like