I cant see a lot of icons

Well, that.
For example, the firefox icon dont show, also calibre icon and probably a lot more.
What i can do?

Please use a few more words to describe your issue - it’s very vague.

For example:
what do you expect to see where - and do you know that this actually should be so but isn’t?

in the panels of gnome i dont see icons of that apps. For example if i press key Super, and write Firefox i just see an empty box (transparent, without the icon). if i press enter i go to the app, so no problem but i will prefer to see the icon.
Also in the bar of the left of the screen… firefox icon is not, also neither the Calibre.

• Did you install gnome extensions?
  • How did you install these apps? (flatpak, snap, aur ?)
  • Only firefox and calibre apps are effected?

No, i dont install nothing about gnome. Just use as is installed from Manjaro.

From pacman.

No, also Add/remove apps / Arduido Ide / Chromium / Layouts / Zoom / Code Oss / Github desktop and a big etc…

Maybe restart gnome-session. Type ALT+F2, type “r” or “restart” and ENTER

Is it possible that the drive is full?

In a terminal:

df -h

Adding apps is unlikely to cause this.
But removing apps might well be a cause - depends on what you did and how.

To take a step back and also clarify:
it all worked as intended - initially?

and then you did some things - added and removed apps -
and then the issue occurred?

Is this a correct assessment? Or not?

If yes - what did you do? :wink:

Has it ever worked?
But now (after you did some things) it doesn’t anymore?

This is all part of info crucial and pertinent to the issue you are experiencing …

I install this machine years ago… this was working fine, and in some moment of all this years this happens, and now im asking because im tired of dont have those icons.

df -h                                                    ✔  51s  
S.ficheros     Tamaño Usados  Disp Uso% Montado en
dev              7,8G      0  7,8G   0% /dev
run              7,8G   2,1M  7,8G   1% /run
/dev/sda6        398G   195G  184G  52% /
tmpfs            7,8G      0  7,8G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs            7,8G   276K  7,8G   1% /tmp
/dev/loop3       128K   128K     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/bare/5
/dev/loop4        56M    56M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/2566
/dev/loop1        56M    56M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/2560
/dev/loop0       115M   115M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core/13741
/dev/loop5       165M   165M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/161
/dev/loop6        82M    82M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1534
/dev/loop7        92M    92M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1535
/dev/loop8        42M    42M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/upnp-server/1
tmpfs            1,6G   168K  1,6G   1% /run/user/1000
/dev/loop9       115M   115M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core/13886
/dev/loop2        64M    64M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core20/1623
/dev/loop11      302M   302M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/qt5-core20/12

… not a very helpful response
but at least we now seem to know that it used to work, and now it doesn’t anymore

I reply what you ask. If i remember this happens after something in particular i already probably fixed.
Also “add/remove app” (i was talking about Pamac)

I can’t be very helpful here since I do not use Gnome.
I know what it looks like and how it works - in it’s default state.
And I know that as soon as you want to customize it, you run into ever changing problems - that is why I do not use it.

But that was my (unhelpful) opinion.

What I seem to see is:

you installed Gnome as a snap app.

/dev/loop5       165M   165M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/161

The version of Gnome that is in the repos is … much higher
4.2 I think - version 4 not version 3 anymore.

There may be conflicts between your (outdated) snap install
and the current version

Hard to say.

Nah… the snap dependencies are only used by snap apps, not by apps installed by pacman/pamac.

@9acca9 Maybe you removed icons by accident?

pamac list | grep icon   
1 Like
pamac list | grep icon                                           ✔ 
adwaita-icon-theme                        42.0+r1+gc144c3d75-1          extra      17,1 MB
gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng    46-1                          community  572,9 kB
gtk-update-icon-cache                     1:4.6.7-1                     extra      36,8 kB
hicolor-icon-theme                        0.17-2                        extra      55,5 kB
kiconthemes                               5.97.0-1                      extra      1,1 MB
manjaro-icons                             20191015-1                    extra      127,0 kB
papirus-maia-icon-theme                   20200702-1                    community  10,0 MB

You have papirus-maia-icon-theme installed, but apparently somehow removed it’s dependency on papirus-icon-theme. Reinstall that and your issue should be resolved. I doubt you will need to logout / login after, but try it if necessary.

1 Like

@Yochanan might have solved it
but:

are snaps not self contained? They have everything they need with them?
How could one remove a piece of it (icons, for example)
accidentally, no less

Yes they are. Snaps have nothing to do with this issue.

first attemp to install and im getting a lot of this:

papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_clustertruck.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_colortone.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_company-of-heroes-2.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_counter-strike-condition-zero-deleted-scenes.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_counter-strike-condition-zero.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_counter-strike-global-offensive.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_counter-strike-source.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_counter-strike.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_crayon-physics-deluxe.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_crusader-kings-ii.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_crush-crush.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_crypt-of-the-necrodancer.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_cuphead.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_cyberpunk-2077.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_danganronpa-trigger-happy-havoc.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_darwinia.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_day-of-defeat-source.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_day-of-the-tentacle-remastered.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
papirus-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/apps/lutris_dead-cells.svg existe en el sistema de archivos
Ocurrieron errores, por lo que no se actualizarán los paquetes

a lot of this already exist…
Anyway, i change the icons and is all working! Thanks!!!

Apparently you installed it manually with sudo and removed the repo package. NEVER install anything to the system on your own. Always use pacman or Add/Remove Software (pamac).

Reinstall it allowing the package to overwrite the manually installed files that are conflicting:

sudo pacman -Syu papirus-icon-theme --overwrite /usr/share/icons/Papirus/

sudo pacman -S papirus-icon-theme --overwrite \*

Just saw your edit.

You did what, now? :thinking:

Misteries of the universe. I really dont understand how this happen.
Thanks for the help!

with gnome tweaks.
Anyway i just try to see your syntax and im getting the same error that before.
I mean, the already exist.