Laptop keeps turning on by itself when I open the lid

I’m using an Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 14" with a 4500u APU. I’m running Manjaro KDE and it’s been like this for previous installations of Manjaro as well (xfce). When I shut down the computer, the power button’s light stays on, and then when I close the lid it turns off. However, when I open the lid the computer turns on by itself without me pressing the power button. Is there a way I can fix this? Is it an issue with Linux or is it just my computer?

From what that sounds like to me, that would be a setting in your UEFI or BIOS firmware setup somewhere. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I agree and can attest to having the same installation, on the same hard disk, exhibiting different behaviour on this Lenovo T440 compared to the previous machine, an Acer netbook. On this machine, opening the lid wakes from sleep (but doesn’t from fully shut down) whereas the Acer would wake on a keypress or by pressing the power button.

Next time I reboot I’ll try to remember to check for such settings.

1 Like

It looks like it is known/designed behavior. I found some youtube videos that explain how to “reveal” the option in windows 10 but not sure how to do it in linux (plus since these videos show you how to do it in windows 10 I’m guessing that means there isn’t control in the UEFI / BIOS. Anyway if you have your system dual boot making the change in windows might change the behavior in all OS on the system.

1 Like

Could it have something to do with Fast Boot? :thinking:

Possible but I don’t really know. In my case the lid-open sensor (a reed switch of some sort, probably) is active in sleep mode. This has got to be hardware/firmware dependent.

1 Like

Hello,

Could it be as simple as having it set to hibernate or suspend. Look at the power settings and see if you can set it to do nothing when lid closes.

KDE Doc - view both tabs: On AC Power, On Battery
https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/powerdevil/index.html

I have the same problem did someone manage to fix this? I dont want to install Windows just to fix this and then have to reinstall linux I dont use dual boot.

You can check if the lid switch is registered in /proc/acpi/wakeup. If it is enabled, disable it. You can write a systemd unit to do it at every boot.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate#Instantaneous_wakeups_from_suspend