Laptop doesn't go to sleep after shutting the lid

I just got Manjaro for my trusty Alienware 17 R4 laptop... but one issue persists that wasn't present on any other distro I have tried (Ubuntu, POP!_OS, KDE Plasma). When I shut the lid, the PC doesn't automatically go to sleep. Albeit a minor inconvenience, this could add up to some serious waste of battery/electricity should I, one day, forget to press the power button before shutting the lid.

Quick edit: I checked power settings and it's supposed to go to sleep when I shut the lid, but that's just not the case :confused:

Are you sure both 'On AC Power' and 'On Battery' settings are set to suspend on lid close ?

Check whether you can adjust the brightness or not. If you can, then check in your Power Settings.
If you cannot, go to /etc/default and open the grub file.

• Find the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. If not already added, add 'acpi_backlight=vendor' just after 'quiet'. Save the contents. Root password is required.
  • Open up a terminal window and enter sudo update-grub. Shut down and then boot up. Do not restart. This should fix the problem.

Which kernel you're on?
uname -a

Forum kindly sponsored by