Language update notification not very helpful at KDE

Hello all together,

I have installed Manjaro KDE 18.1.0 on my system and after installing new languages and apps there was a notification "There are N updates available for the language packages".

"Great!" thinks the average user, and how can those now be updated as there's no hint, nothing? Or even a better question: why does Manjaro not update them itself?

Those notification messages create great confusion among the average users I know and you guys should really make it auto update at best. :slight_smile:

Regards

Is not how we do things .. no one wants automatic updates.

I assume this is a message from MSM notifier applet. If you click that you will be able to control/download language packs.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Settings_Manager
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Using_Manjaro_for_Beginners

3 Likes

In addition to what @cscs already mentioned, the process of adding language packages is documented in the Manjaro User Guide (page 116).

1 Like

If you want automatic updates - without user intervention - I think you are using the wrong system.

Windows is famous for the un-intervened updates.

As stated on the Manjaro web site - Manjaro does not or will ever do automatic updates. All system changes is - at all times - done using user interaction and approvement.

https://manjaro.org/features/under-your-control/

And I don't think any user opinions - requesting to do automatic updates - are ever going to stick.

3 Likes

Thanks for the hints and answers.

Well, then I'm afraid I got to change the distribution again for my relatives. Personally I am fine with manual updates, but I had hoped that Manjaro could also be used as modern rolling release system, which can replace the Windows system for the average user, but it seems I was wrong. :wink:

Regards

If you are looking towards a user-hand-hold - install-and-forget type of system then you are correct - it is not Manjaro you are looking for.

You certainly did not do your research well - don't be afraid to test but don't expect any Linux system to be the magic wand that removes the tedious maintenance of a complex operating system.

For such kind of maintenance you need either Windows or macOS; they also have the paid manpower to do such things. Manjaro team consist of - at the moment 12 users - using their spare time to build Manjaro (all contributing in different areas) and they are relying on the Arch team making it all possible.

You could try buying into a Redhat service contract if you absolutely does not want the above.

Yes, obviously I did not do that and tbh I had not expect this consequent design decision.

I will keep testing how much I can ask from my relatives in sense of self-administrating a linux system.
I guess you would appose the idea to implement a systemd script to invoke a

pacman -Syu

at boot? :smiley:

Never mind, I will check my options! Thanks.

1 Like

Feel free - after all it is your system - you will find that it will fail if user interaction is required.

1 Like

No thank you, automatic updates suck for the vast majority of users. They tend to happen at the least opportune times and cause major inconveniences. It's not difficult to do a manual update. You can't forget about it, because you get notified.

If you are on the Stable branch, updates do not happen that often, usually once or twice a month, and you can delay updating for quite some time, as long as you don't install any new packages. It's much more convenient than what Windows does. I couldn't stand that with Windows 7, and I hear it is even worse on 10.

2 Likes

Respectfully, I think there was a misunderstanding on this.
The notification is informing that some language packages need to be added, not updated. My (educated) guess is this happens either after the system's first setup, or after a package was added (with any package manager) which was in the list of MSM language utility (I don't really know how this works/scans etc).
Then the user needs to go in MSM languages section and confirm/select to add the new packages.

We all know that since a package exists in pacman DBs, it is always updated in the usual process. The topic is about something else.

Would you please verify/confirm my guessing? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That is also my impression - but if it is installation of language packs or update of language support - which ever term one use - doing an action without user interaction - just because the system deems it possible - is against one of the principles of the Manjaro distribution

Manjaro do not take any decision on behalf of the user

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by