kvantum-manjaro: Themes really needs improvements

In an separate thread, I mentioned that I used “gtk2” style instead of Kvantum because the Kvantum themes looked way too off compared to the GTK equivalent. More precisely, there is two things that bother me a lot and make me avoid using Kvantum altogether: the toolbar+menubar color and the tooltip color used.

I’ll mention Adapta Maia and Matcha-sea for my examples, but I presume all themes shipped in kvantum-manjaro will need some sort of similar rework.

KvAdaptaMaia
adapta-maia-kvantum

• The toolbar+menubar is clearly not the same as the color used for the window border. You can verify that with a tool like Gcolor (package: gcolor3). The color used for the toolbar+menubar is #22322D, while the color used for the window border is #222D32. It looks like the creator of KvAdaptaMaia made a typo when defining the color.

• Same thing for the tooltip color in the Kvantum theme: it should use #222D32.

For this one, it looks like the biggest problem was a tiny typo that ruined everything.

KvMatchaSea
matchasea-kvantum-menubar

• The toolbar+menubar is not supposed to be pitch black at all. The color used in Matcha-sea is #1B2224.

matchasea-kvantum-tooltip-kvantum

• The tooltip is clearly not the right color, being white instead of a slight dark, greyish color (see below for comparison in a GTK program). The right color for the tooltip (according to /usr/share/themes/Matcha-sea/gtk-3.0/gtk.css) is #46565B (or R:70, G:86, B:91). We will also need to change the Tooltip text color from black to white.

matchasea-kvantum-tooltip-gtk

tooltip.background {
  background-color: rgba(70, 86, 91, 0.95);
  background-clip: padding-box;
}

Honestly, while the first one looks more like a small typo while creating the theme, this one looks like it was completely rushed for whatever reason. It just doesn’t look like Matcha-sea whatsoever.

If those two problems are fixed, it would already be a major improvement. Considering that Kvantum is currently the solution used for the appearance of QT software in a lot of editions, I think it is kind of important to take the issue seriously and improve the quality of the Kvantum themes shipped on Manjaro, and especially make them as consistent as possible with the GTK equivalent.

An additional fix for KvMatcha would be doing one of the following (if at least one of them is even possible to do):

• Making the toolbar buttons not go completely white when hovering the buttons would be cool. It would look better if it would just go slightly lighter instead, OR;
  • Changing the theme so the toolbar doesn’t have the same color as the menu bar, but instead has the same color as the window in general, would do the trick too. (This one could be a good change for KvAdaptaMaia too.)

@Ste74 Making those changes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my “critique”, and thanks in advance for making the requested improvements.

7 Likes

If I knew how to - I would make PR but I have no idea :upside_down_face:

@Ste74 I got some time on my hand to make a “proof of concept” to show you how it looks if we merely follow the recommendations above with Matcha Sea.

For Matcha Sea, I did the modifications mentioned above, plus changing the window color from #F5F6F7 to #F7F7F7 (IMO it looks more consistent with the GTK theme that way). Here’s the download link.

https://mega.nz/#!VoNiAYKb!Avm-kdQ3PV-E2EH1XM6QMDG7OkwpG8jN94wGPPwCQTE

You can try it out by putting the KvMatchaSeaPOC folder in ~/.config/Kvantum, then change the theme in Kvantum Manager to KvMatchaSeaPOC.

Note that it is merely a proof of concept, not a definitive thing, and that I am no way competent with Inkscape to edit svg files, so the modifications might not be properly made. I just did that so you can see how it would looks like.

Here’s some screenshots for comparison.

With gtk2 style

With current KvMatchaSea

With the POC

General look of POC

1 Like

.svg are only text file, its easy to find #F5F6F7 with simple editor or btn “display source” in gitlab :

• tooltip-normal-topleft
  • tooltip-normal-top
  • tooltip-normal

@Frog i pinned this tread to not forgot it… i will look into your suggestion in this days…
As @papajoke say you can open the svg file with an editor file and modify the hex code for the color and if you use a plugin into atom or code you can see instantly the color as the hex code is. For code i use this

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by