Krunner freezing the entire desktop when invoked

Whenever I press alt-space, the entire desktop will hang for some 20 seconds. I’m using kernel 510 and NVIDIA closed 520 drivers.

Any pointers on where to start?

Welcome back :+1:

I don’t think it is related to your GFX driver, but more baloo, because that pull-down uses the index of that to provide you with completions IIRC.

Click my avatar to see what my setup is, and i don’t have any freezes at all…
See: balooctl status if that is hogging your system.
That service is a pain in the <fill in yourself> especially when you have games installed in your homedir fe. steam/lutris/etc
I explicitly disabled indexing of those sub-dirs via the settings…

That didn’t solve anything. Baloo was scanning files slowly, but not hogging resources. I stopped it and deleted it’s 4 GB index files and still nothing. I couldn’t find any files with find . -iname krunner in my home folder (I was about to try deleting it). I unmarked anything “suspicious” in the search functionality in KDE settings, and it still displays quickly when first invoked, but then freezes the entire desktop manager for 20-30 seconds.

Update: disabling desktop compositing makes the problem disappear.

Yet, it’s a bad solution. I hope this information might help, anyway.

Greetings
i have the same problem and disabling compositing also fixes it.

running “balooctl status” it returns:
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: “Unknown” msgid_plural: “” msgctxt: “”
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: “Idle” msgid_plural: “” msgctxt: “”

don’t know what it means but maybe it is related.

cheers

Does this message disappear when composite is disabled?

Can you file a bug report in bugs.kde.org with all the information you have. That will help the kde devs to fix issue.

No it’s not As I get the same output for the command yet my desktop doesn’t freeze.

no, it doesn’t disappear when disabling compositing