Kmail and Akregator not loading

Hi, I’m new to Manjaro. I’m running a fresh 22.02 intstallation on a Raspberry Pi 4 with KDE as my DE.

I installed both Kmail and Akregator and they are not loading for the same reason. This is what I get:

[tomas@tomas-manjaro-rpi4 ~]$ kmail
kmail: error while loading shared libraries: libqgpgme.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I looked in Pamac and all I could find is the “qgpgme” package, which is installed.

Any ideas?

Thanx!

1 Like

I have the same problem too. My environment is Host: Pine64 Pinebook pro, OS:Manjaro ARM Linux aarch64, Kernel: 5.16.15-2-MANJARO-ARM, DE: Plasms 5.24.3 .

After updating the other day, Kmail will not start. To be exact, it crashes right after it tries to start.
When I try to start kmail with CLI, the following message appears and I cannot start it.
kmail: error while loading shared libraries: libqgpgme.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks!

1 Like

qgpgme provides usr/lib/libqgpgme.so.15, so not sure why kmail and akrigator would want the likely very old .7.

According to upgpkg: kmail 21.12.3-2: libqgpgme.so rebuild · archlinux/svntogit-packages@15928ff · GitHub kmail was rebuilt for this new library on March 7th, but our kmail package was rebuilt a few hours before the dependency was in. So that’s likely why it’s looking for the .so.7.

We get kmail from Arch Linux though, so it would need to be rebuilt upstream. And Akregator is almost the same issue. It was last built on March 4th, which is some days before the dependency updated. So this issue will likely be the same on Arch Linux ARM.

2 Likes

I know I’m not offering a real solution here but I also used Kmail and Akregator.
My suggestion is to not use them as they are not so great, they have many bugs and inconsistencies.

If you really need and really want an e-mail and RSS client then Thunderbird is the right option (I’ve also seen an AUR extension to it for providing desktop notification).
For more information, check this thread opened by me. Cheers.

2 Likes