Keyring for chromium is pointless?

keyring
gnome
browser

I like Firefox a lot and I also have chromium.
I sometimes use chromium for being practical and having some extensions that Firefox doesn’t.

I don’t know the mechanics of gnome-keyring but from my perspective it’s a master-key prompt login to decrypt other saved passwords.

One big difference about Mozilla Firefox and Chromium is that Firefox by default will not ask a master-key every time you open the browser after boot (only for those who have auto-login with no password enabled).
Chromium uses gnome-keyring so every time I open it, it will annoy me to insert the master-key password.

The thing is, I can press Esc key or choose Cancel in the window above and the effect will be the same - it will still continue to write my saved passwords automatically.

What is the use of asking for a master-key password if you can press Esc and the effect will be the same?

How to disable keyring?
Chromium asks to sign in again after every reboot
Unlock Keyring?
Gnome keyring empty password resetting itself

I also find this annoying, but I don’t know why the result is the same. If it wasn’t because I need gnome-keyring for my wifi stuff to work properly, I would simply uninstall it.

gnome-keyring gets auto-unlocked during login, it should not ask for your password (it uses same password as your user account)

Tried to disable keyring now chrome wont open

I used to have that fix, linked from a very old Manjaro forum post, but no more. Someone…?

It applied only to Xfce, at that time. No need to use it in anything otherwise…

Regards

Wireless Password Dialog not appearing

Open a terminal and ender the following two commands:

sudo mv /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon-old
sudo killall gnome-keyring-daemon

not for auto login users

You’re the man!
Thanks for saving me a lot of time clicking the Esc key :slight_smile:

The problem is sometimes the gnome keyring unlocks automatically at login on xfce, sometimes it doesn’t. Even without auto login. When gnome keyring unlocks (auto or manual like the image abovel) all of your chromium passwords that are stored in the gnome keyring get unlocked also.

It is so annoying that the first thing I do after a clean install is remove the gnome keyring daemon which allows chromium to use its keyring which is always unlocked. Removing gnome keyring daemon does not affect my wifi, ssh logins or anything else on xfce.

Yes! That one. :smiley: I knew someone around here still had intact info… :smiley:

Regards

EDIT: This ‘fix’ should not be needed or used in GNOME.

We’re discussing this again?

Well - OK.

Chrome/Chromium will try to use a keyring as it is a secure storage mechanism. If a keyring is not available (or you cancel) Chrome(ium) will store credentials in plain text.

By disabling gnome-keyring-daemon you are making Chrome(ium) use its own unencrypted credential store. By manually moving the files you are creating an issue later with package updates.

My recommendation is to keep the keyring and type the password.

Как убрать разблокировку связки ключей?
[SOLVED] Google Chrome keeps asking me to login over and over again

Can you cite an instance? This hack has been around here for a long (relative) time, and I do not recall an instance.

I certainly do not want to be responsible for spreading it, if a fouled-up updating mechanism is the result!

Regards

[SOLVED] Google Chrome keeps asking me to login over and over again

Pacman will warn about missing files, so when gnome-keyring is next updated there will be a nice warning message. This particular case isn’t likely to cause failures but the manual deletion of system files probably isn’t the correct solution.

If packages depend on gnome-keyring they’re likely to expect the presence and/or operation of gnome-keyring-daemon; if you have no packages that depend on gnome-keyring the correct solution is pacman -R gnome-keyring.

I found a solution for this annoyance:

• close any chrome/chromium running process:
    pkill chrome
    pkill chromium

• remove auto created keyring files (you may want to check theese files before removing):
    rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/*

• restart your chrome/chromium and leave passphrase field blank when it asks (you may need to log in your google account again).

It will no more bother you.
This was working for me on every Xfce, KDE and Gnome distro I tried last few years :wink:

Chrome Browser start request key

Cool beans. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Glad I read this before I went and used the command to remove gnome-keyring. I would not want any passwords sitting on my system in plain text, I don’t believe anyone would want that.

Chromium Version 51.0.2704.84 is now working as it should with the dreaded gnome-keyring

Does Firefox save my passwords in plain text?
It doesn’t ask for a master-key password like chromium does.
Why not a chromium version with it’s own system of encryption instead of depending on gnome-keyring?
Does the Windows version of chromium save password in plain text (i don’t think so) then why not implement the same encrypt-not-anoying-system on linux by default and if users want to complicate using gnome-keyring, they can read tutorials online on how to do it?

In the browser settings I choose “Never save passwords”. And no need to worry… :upside_down:

Will this have any effect on pamac-manager? I don’t want to end up with an authorization issue again (but that was a corrupt install to begin with).

Not for me, never. :slight_smile: