Manjaro bootsplash manager

I made a simple cli manager for bootsplash

It can:

• Check if bootsplash is enabled and supported by current kernel
  • List installed themes
  • Enable bootsplash and change current theme
  • Disable bootsplash ( black screen or log at user’s choice )

Now user don’t have to change /etc/default/grub or /etc/mkinitcpio.conf directly

When user sets a theme, it will automatically syncronize HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf with a list of all installed themes.
I also made a post-transaction hook for this:

In the near future I will made GUI

8 Likes

Really great job good sir. Just encountered a minor bug myself, where the hooks line was incorrectly set up this way, failing at rebuilding init images:

HOOKS="(base systemd autodetect modconf block keyboard sd-vconsole filesystems) bootsplash-gnome"

Most likely because I was using brackets (like arch upstream) instead of quotes. No big deal.

Just added it to the repos. Nice job! :+1:

2 Likes

thank you for reporting, i fixed that

1 Like

Thank you, I confirm now it works just great.

Another very minor thing, it’s that bootsplash-manager --status still states a warning about “current theme not found in hooks list…”, even when indeed the theme really is in the hooks list.

I was looking at this today and was getting errors about the kernel not being supported.

Cannot detect kernel bootsplash support Is it a custom kernel?

After some internet searching I found a how-to on here that noted that from kernel 6.4 onwards bootsplash was broken: Bootsplash patches for linux64

I’m on 6.5 now and still seeing the same. Is anyone aware of where we can track this issue or if there are plans to fix it?

NOTE: I know this is bumping an old thread but this seems to be the best place for a reply with a link to sit if someone searches for it later.

You could log an issue with the developer on Github:

I don’t think the issue is with the bootsplash manager but with splash screen support generally under kernel 6.4+, but all I’ve been able to find linked to so far is a code change to remove it because it was broken which has been completed (It’s linked to in the other post I mention I believe).