Kernel unsupported

I am running kernel 5.13.19 which is now unsupported. I don’t really get why we have to switch kernels manually. In my opinion, it should be done automatically when a kernel is unsupported.
If that is not your opinion, maybe you can give a reason why?

Thanks for your hard work anyway!

If you don’t want to keep switching kernels install an LTS version. Currently 5.10 is the latest LTS but 5.15 (current stable) will become LTS once 5.16 reaches stable.

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Doing this could cause a lot of breakage for people depending on hardware.

4 Likes

No one will know if another kernel will work on your system flawless. So automatic switching kernels could break the system and users who are not as much experienced in linux could have problems with none booting systems and dont know why. :grinning:

2 Likes

For all I agree with this :point_up_2::point_up_2: the other side of the coin is whenever a eol kernel gets dropped from the repo we always get people posting their system has broken or there’s an issue with their nvidia drivers. Unfortunately too many users just update and don’t read the announcement threads, maybe a popup/warning to change kernel might be an idea rather than automatically switching them

2 Likes

exists in msm-notifier

2 Likes

Noob question: Why can upgrading Kernels break systems? Driver supports and improvements are added not removed right?
Also, can it be made a feature in pamac/pamac cli to prompt for a kernel update and do it if clicked Yes? Many people miss out many new kernel features using old kernels.

Unless you have brand new hardware or know of some super specific feature you need/want … there is not really a reason to chase new kernels.
Install a good working LTS and move on.
Or, if you like trying new things … then keep that LTS and install/check newer kernels as they come out or stabilize … maybe eventually replace your ‘old reliable’ LTS with a newer LTS that has once again been shown working and reliable.

4 Likes

If LTS does switch automatically, maybe it is better to have the LTS installed as standard?

I dont think you understand … different kernel series are dubbed ‘LTS’ by the kernel devs.
You can see such things at kernel.org.
There is no ‘switching’ … its just development … and every handful of steps along development something is adopted as LTS for X amount of time … at one point 2.X was an LTS supported for 5 years, but no longer exists … currently we have a handful of LTS’s some about to expire, and 5.15 becoming the newest.
I hope that explains a bit better.

2 Likes

I know what I am doing when switching a kernel.
But I think we need to think from the perspective of a user without knowledge.
IMO it should be easy by design with the possibility to change whatever you want.
So, it would be much easier to have 2 options as standard: LTS and Real-time.
More advanced users need to have the option to still switch to any supported kernel they want.

1 Like

Everyone already has the ability to choose whatever kernel they want by mhwd-kernel or Manjaro Settings Manager … and they also have the ability to have a naggy notifier through msm-notifier too.

Again … I dont think you know what that means.
Real-time or RT is a very specific kernel set mainly only needed by folks like audio engineers.

4 Likes

Possible regression issues

LTS = Long Term Support, it is a kernel that will get security updates for a number of years. Then you have the current kernels which you have to keep changing if you want to use them. I have newer hardware and am using a newer kernel but when 5.15 goes LTS I might just lock into that for awhile unless I see something of use in a newer kernel.

For my wife’s computer I put her on an LTS 5.10, there is no reason for a basic user to be trying out new kernels.

3 Likes

updating kernels tends to be problematic when you have proprietary drivers (nvidia, broadcom etc).
if a system call changes exactly how it behaves, then pre-compiled kernel modules (for older kernels) may not work on newer ones.
technologies like DKMS exist to help alleviate this issue, but it’s not embraced by Manjaro, they instead choose to use the mhwd, which both simplifies and complicates things.