Kernel Panic on boot

On selecting manjaro Kde from the GRUB menu I am shown this screen

Please help me fix it, my keyboard is not responding now

By any chance did you use an existing grub from another distro and update grub to add Manjaro?

You can follow this guide:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

Well the last thing I remember doing is booting into Ubuntu and installing the latest updates it even changed my GRUB menu from manjaro to Ubuntu version

This looks so similar to my issue yesterday, maybe it’s related.

On grub at boot, when you press e to check the boot-entry, do you see anything similar?

1 Like

The reason I asked is I did exactly what I asked and got the same error. You got there by a different rout, by an Ubuntu update that likely replaced the Manjaro grub with the Ubuntu version. The Ubuntu os prober and grub leave out some lines that Manjaro needs to start.
There are two solutions.

1. Do what jonathon suggested. But if you update Ubuntu again and there is a grub update it will likely happen again.
  2. Do what jonathon suggested and if you have a second drive in your computer point Manjaro to install grub there and change that drive to the boot drive in your bios. This way an Ubuntu update will just update the original drive and leave the Manjaro grub alone.

I think the following way is easier.

1. When Ubuntu grub menu appears, press ‘c’ at the menu and we’ll get to the grub prompt (grub>).
  2. Type in
    grub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release root
    grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
  3. You will be presented with your original manjaro grub menu.
    Use this and boot to manjaro.
  4. When booted up to manjaro installed OS, at terminal
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub
  5. Done.
6 Likes

@gohlip OMG Thanks it worked!!
Now I’m worried that if I update my system again this problem could happen again…

'LLo,

No way to Ignore GRUB in Ubuntu’s update (with synaptic or something else…) ?

Thanks for your confidence. :rofl::slightly_smiling_face:

You’re welcome.

. :open_mouth: But of course. :sweat_smile: Phew!

If your system is bios-legacy/msdos (and I think it is), to prevent Ubuntu from becoming the ‘default’ grub again (if Ubuntu upgrades grub version (update-grub itself won’t be a problem - only grub -install), what you can do is when booted up to Ubuntu, at Ubuntu terminal,
sudo grub-install --force /dev/sdxy
where /dev/sdxy is Ubuntu root partition.
So say, Ubuntu is sda4 (hd0,4),
sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda4
Hope this is clear and don’t forget to use ‘–force’. There will be a warning message, something like ‘embedded…discouraged,’ but don’t worry. It will be alright.
So next time it may upgrade grub, it won’t be the default grub.

Cheers.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark