Kernel install and rescue usb [Resolved]

Hi, I have just installed the 5.15.6-2 kernel on my Manjaro Cinnamon but before rebooting I would like to create a rescue usb key because the last time I changed kernel, my system crashed.

What would you advise me as a rescue system iso?

Thanx in advance

Any recent Manjaro .iso will do fine. They all have the necessary tools on board. :wink:

Unsolicited advice: install 2 kernels, one of which LTS

2 Likes

thank you for the answer.
I was thinking more along the lines of Systemrescue, Rescatux, TheUltimateBoot, etc… because it automates repairs.
What do you think about it?
But according to you if I take the last iso of Manjaro for example I would have what it takes?

Yes, you normally would. I haven’t heard of any situations yet in which the live session of the installer .iso did not have the necessary tools available.

Ok, thank you.
5.4.163-1 LTS is installed but not used
I’m on 5.13.19-2 and I have installed 5.15.6-2
I will reboot

Just do regular backups with timeshift or any backup program you want. With a live usb you can restore your backup if the worst ever happens

2 Likes

Okay, good idea. I used Timeshift on Ubuntu but I didn’t install it on Manjaro, I will do it

1 Like

2 kernels do help often, but sometimes this is not sufficient.
Module nouveau: unknown symbol in module

1 Like

Restoring timeshift or similar backups as suggested by other is a better idea because those tools are usually Ubuntu/Debian specific or experimental at best for Arch/Manjaro

3 Likes

Ok, I will close the topic to “Resolved”
Thank you for your answers

Please mark the post that either solved your inquiry or that inspired you to find the answer to your problem. This will add a redacted copy of said post to your opening post and will also trigger a thread-close timer, so that the thread won’t get necro-bumped a few months from now. (That does happen quite often around here!)

:wink:

2 Likes

There’s a hook/script in the repos to autosnap a timeshift backup everytime you run a system update

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.