Kernel Headers install

Please make it so Kernel-Headers are either automatically installed or add an option to the kernel-config to install them. This is especially a problem when your dkms modules suddenly don’t work any more after a kernel update.
E.g. if your Wi-Fi driver is dkms: You do a reboot after an update, and boom, you suddenly don’t have any network connection… Now I need to connect to LAN to get the headers to fix it, which is not user-friendly at all. :frowning:

1 Like

Can you not boot into the previous kernel you have installed and install the headers for the new kernel from there?

Well that is possible but imho it’s still not user-friendly. Especially because the headers aren’t even shown inside the pamac-gui, so you need to install them from command line, which is super unintuitive and confusing when you upgrade your kernel only like every 4 months.
Long story short: When I install a new kernel, I expect kernel related things to work and not randomly break because a simple 30MiB package isn’t installed.

They are shown.

Okay, my bad. Somehow I didn’t find them, but I stand with my point: It’s unintuitive to not have them installed automatically, because it can break the system, which could easily be prevented.

Not everyone needs them though, I don’t have any headers installed.

Well if you use dkms you need them. A friend actually stopped using Manjaro, because every time he did a kernel upgrade, he got locked out from the internet. Why? dkms couldn’t upgrade the WiFi driver, because the headers were missing. (Now you unnecessarily need to connect to LAN to fix it…)

Not everyone needs them though

Well, “not everyone” doesn’t mean “no one”.

So how about:
If kernel headers are already installed, ask if the user wants the ones for the new kernel also installed.

I agree that if we have GUI kernel management it should somehow include headers …
The same goes for mhwd-kernel terminal command itself. A flag maybe?
(which is aside from the concept of hooks or auto-install … thats another topic with mixed feelings)

1 Like

No you don’t. Just boot into the previous kernel and install the required headers over WiFi. You aren’t uninstalling the running kernel are you?

If you have headers installed for current running kernel it should already be the case, it will install headers for new kernel you want to install.