Kernel 6.9.2-1 fails to load into Wayland Plasma properly

On booting Kernel 6.9.2, it gives me a normal SDDM login screen. When I log in, it starts switching video modes repeatedly, then gives me obvious video garbage consisting of a mostly-black-screen with lines of noise.

This is using a just-updated Manjaro with KDE Plasma 6.0.5, running under Wayland, on NVidia driver 550. All of this works fine on Kernel 6.8.11.

I’m not sure how to diagnose this - I’ve got a quarter megabyte of journalctl logs I can put somewhere if you want, or I can test things out. Is there a way I can help get this bug solved, whatever it is?

The problem is Nvidia. You should either switch to the nouveau driver or use X11 instead of Wayland.

Another consideration is that if you don’t actually have a pressing need to be on the latest kernel — such as that you would be using brand-spanking-new hardware that’s only supported by the latest kernel — then it might be wiser to stick to an LTS kernel such as 6.1 or 6.6.

1 Like

Seconded.

That would likely be one of the first thing I’d try, to test a theory.

I have had this same problem.

In GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX of /etc/default/grub add nvidia_drm.modeset=1 and nvidia_drm.fbdev=1 (both, without fbdev it doesn’t work with kernel 6.9) and in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf add MODULES=(nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm) then sudo mkinitcpio -P