Kernel 5.19.17-2 cannot be removed

Hello,

I’ve been informed by the GUI for a while now that kernel 5.19.17-2 is not supported anymore and that I should switch to a newer kernel. I have installed kernel 6.1.1-1 and also the older LTS kernel 5.15.85-1, and I expected that Manjaro would switch to one of these kernels automatically on one of the next restarts, but that hasn’t happened. I also can’t remove kernel 5.19.17-2 from the GUI, the corresponding button is just missing.
How can I remove this unsupported kernel and make Manjaro switch to the newer one I’ve installed?

The output of mhwd-kernel -li is as follows:

Currently running: 5.19.17-2-MANJARO (linux519)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
Fehler: Konnte Datei /var/lib/pacman/local/kate-22.12.0-1/desc nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
   * linux515
   * linux519
   * linux61
Fehler: Konnte Datei /var/lib/pacman/local/kate-22.12.0-1/desc nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

You can’t remove a kernel you are currently running. So reboot and in GRUB go to Advanced menu, select the new kernel and press enter. Once that is booted, you should be able to remove 5.19 from the interface.

1 Like

Thank you, that worked! I had to hold down Shift while rebooting to get to the Grub menu.

Do you per chance know what the error message in mhwd-kernel means?

It’s not related to mhwd at all. It’s pacman complaining about a file it expects to be there, but it’s not.

You can probably fix that with:

sudo touch /var/lib/pacman/local/kate-22.12.0-1/desc

Indeed, that fixed it! Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.