Kernel 5.15 issue in recent stable update

When running the 5.15 kernel, visual glitches are present (using X1 Carbon Gen 9 with Intel Xe graphics) and there is a significant slowdown when interacting with UI elements (on both X11 and Wayland)

• Available wifi connections are missing characters in their titles and have blank spaces (e.g. an SSID called “MyWifi” will appear as “M Wi i”)
  • Logs report a large number of Plasmashell kf.plasma.quick: Couldn't create KWindowShadow for PlasmaQuick::Dialog(0x55cb623bcc10)
  • Large number of plasmashell file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.bluetooth/contents/ui/logic.js:22: TypeError: Cannot read property 'devices' of undefined

EDIT: Seems like this is being reported by others with similar hardware as mine so I’ll continue to see if things improve on the next update to the kernel: GPU HANG. Kernel 5.15 on TigerLake (#4530) · Issues · drm / intel · GitLab

1 Like

5.15 is relatively new. In fact its the latest that isnt in development mode.
But does this report mean you have tried other kernels and they work?

1 Like

5.14 works without issue (this was actually the first time I’ve had an issue with a kernel update in Manjaro)

I’ve switched back to 5.14 for the time being. The X1C Gen 9 runs Tiger Lake so my thinking is that support for it’s hardware in the kernel will mature over time and running the most recent kernel may improve reliability/performance so I try to upgrade to the latest stable kernel possible.

Makes total sense.
Well, next time there is a kick to the 515 package you can try again :slight_smile:

No issues here with an older Intel (i5-8250U Kaby Lake, internal UHD-Graphics 620) and KDE.

The plasmashell warnings about wrong variable types are present for me, too. I guess this is pretty common and I guess it has to do with older/upgraded settings or not-so-careful developers…

1 Like

I’m also getting GPU hangs at startup with kernel 5.15.2-2 on my Razer Book 13 with Tigerlake i7-1165G7 with Xe graphics. I switched back to 5.14.18-1 for now, with which I don’t have any issues.

My previous computer is also i5-8250+UHD 620 lol

But my current one is i7-1165G7 + Xe Graphics (TigerLake GT2), and I have the same issue on Linux 5.15 as @webo

Can you tell me how to get the plasmashell warnings?

You should see them in the system log application (I think it’s called KSystemLog)

Keep that log application open and see what warnings and errors come up. There’s a lot in there and just because warnings or errors appear doesn’t necessarily mean something is wrong but if you notice something isn’t working properly in your regular usage, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on those log files in case anything related pops up.

2 Likes

Yes, I used journalctl -xe | grep plasmashell.

There is no /var/log/syslog on Manjaro? (I am newbie)

No, Manjaro uses systemd-journald. Use journalctl to inspect logs.

1 Like

KDE 5.15-4 fixed

It does seem like 5.15.3 and up fixed the issue: GPU HANG. Kernel 5.15 on TigerLake (#4530) · Issues · drm / intel · GitLab

Waiting for it to show up in Manjaro stable before updating.

you can change to testing branch

Just as an FYI, some people are still reporting issues with > 5.15.2 and that the real fix will be in 5.16: GPU HANG. Kernel 5.15 on TigerLake (#4530) · Issues · drm / intel · GitLab

Hopefully it resolves the issue for some but it seems like some issues may remain for others.

To quote a comment there:

Fortunately the changeset is a single line so it should be easy for someone more knowledgeable with the codebase to see if the commit hould be reverted or fixed in another way.

This and the projected EOL of 5.15 (see The Linux Kernel Archives - Releases) rather makes me think this will land in 5.15 anyway.
In the meantime perhaps @oberon wants to include it as a separate patch for the manjaro kernel?

Just added those patches.

2 Likes

I am extremely pleased using the new 5.15 kernel. It suspends and resumes from sleep not only perfectly but much quicker than the 5.10x kernel did. I am using the Nouveau driver, btw.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.