Kernel 5.15.72-1 freezes at boot

good idea to try a live usb …
also you can enable early load of the nvidia drivers:
kate /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
and edit the modules section to look like this:

MODULES=(crc32c-intel nvidia nvidia_drm nvidia_uvm nvidia_modeset)

save it and run:
sudo mkinitcpio -P
reboot and test

Booting with a live usb worked well, no issues. It is not the kernel 515 that has the problem it is the “rolling” part of the rolling-release that seems to fail.

Unfortunately, this did not seem to change anything. I guess I will have to reinstall the OS sometime down the road. It would be a pain to reconfigure everything, VMs, etc.

Thank you for all of your ideas and suggestions, very much appreciated.

did you modify journal settings? since the logs get stuck after flushing journal… i had the same issue, but the freezes happened randomly, not every time like you have…
post output from:
cat /etc/systemd/journald.conf

I did not modify journal settings, please see below.

#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the
#  terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free
#  Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option)
#  any later version.
#
# Entries in this file show the compile time defaults. Local configuration
# should be created by either modifying this file, or by creating "drop-ins" in
# the journald.conf.d/ subdirectory. The latter is generally recommended.
# Defaults can be restored by simply deleting this file and all drop-ins.
#
# Use 'systemd-analyze cat-config systemd/journald.conf' to display the full config.
#
# See journald.conf(5) for details.

[Journal]
#Storage=auto
#Compress=yes
#Seal=yes
#SplitMode=uid
#SyncIntervalSec=5m
#RateLimitIntervalSec=30s
#RateLimitBurst=10000
#SystemMaxUse=
#SystemKeepFree=
#SystemMaxFileSize=
#SystemMaxFiles=100
#RuntimeMaxUse=
#RuntimeKeepFree=
#RuntimeMaxFileSize=
#RuntimeMaxFiles=100
#MaxRetentionSec=
#MaxFileSec=1month
#ForwardToSyslog=no
#ForwardToKMsg=no
#ForwardToConsole=no
#ForwardToWall=yes
#TTYPath=/dev/console
#MaxLevelStore=debug
#MaxLevelSyslog=debug
#MaxLevelKMsg=notice
#MaxLevelConsole=info
#MaxLevelWall=emerg
#LineMax=48K
#ReadKMsg=yes
#Audit=yes

it looks ok…
so i have no idea what the issue could be, nothing in logs… nothing in logs indicating its because of nvidia…

Thank you again, I personally don’t believe the cause is nvidia drivers, etc. I built this server/workstation in 2016, and upgraded some of its hardware a few times over the course of the last 6 years. This is the first machine that I used Manjaro as the single OS, before I have been a fedora user and upgrading it every 6 months was a pain. Although Manjaro is a rolling release, I have always been skeptical about the rolling portion, since I know junk accumulates over time and even the best effort for rolling would eventually fail over time, at least in my opinion/expectations. Six years is not a bad time, I appreciate the effort put in this project every day. It has been very stable for me and also very easy to use. I am thankful for the developers and maintainers of Manjaro. Kudos for a job well done!

@hakayova , I am facing similar issue but I am using amdgpu. mypost any luck with solution ??

did you try kernel 6.1 ?? can you post logs of that ??

Try booting with kernel 6.1 . Switch back to 5.10 and run below command

journalctl -o short-precise -k -b -1 | tee linux_610.log

Hi @Tarunk ,

Thanks for your message. I guess kernel 6.1 did not make it to my branch yet, there is only one version listed which reads kernel 6.1.0rc2-1 and marked as experimental. I use this computer as a hypervisor which hosts many servers and I am a little worried to try the experimental kernel on it, as silly as it may sound. Kernel 6.0 definitely did not make any difference for me with the problem I am having.