Persistent Downloads for Architect

Hi,
I am doing a couple of dry-runs for Manjaro (KDE) installations on a virtual machine using Manjaro Architect (which I had not used before). I really like how I am able to tune my system during installation ( E.g.: by using refind instead of grub) and also how it always takes the latest version.

Because I am installing KDE, downloading the latest packages takes some time. If I want to redo the installation with different choices (e.g. use LVM2 ) I again have to download the KDE packages.

I did create a current version of the Manjaro KDE installation iso, using manjaro-tools-iso. And I then started architect from that one, but it still downloads all the packages.

Is there a way to keep these Architect downloaded packages persistent (or at least: download only once, the packages that have not changed)?

As long as the installation media is read-only (like an ISO), no.

When you use an ISO, you are booting a live session. Live sessions store data in RAM.
So as soon as you reboot that data is gone.

If you use Architect there is an option to set cache to the currently running system.

But as Architect is a net installer - it would make more sense to tweak your ISO profile and just use Calamares to install.

Thanks for your replies!
I do understand that the "net boot"part of architect is one of the key benefits of it.
At the moment I want to install 3 different tries in 1 hour, so I created a small script that I run before starting architect (“setup”). I mounts an NFS share to /var/cache/pacman and then uses that on consecutive installs. I placed this script on my web server and call it using curl http://webserver|sudo bash. It might be a bit blunt, but it works: :wink:

Did also look into adapting Calamares to make it use refind but that is not trivial (meaning: needs me to read up on a lot of documents, which someday I might )

I jumped ship (from Ubuntu to Manjaro ) in May, so just about half a year now. And still find new things to be happy about in Manjaro (Architect being one)