Kernel 4.13.4 panic during boot and shutdown

With the kernel 4.13.4 i have experience 2 kernel panics now. One during shutdown and one during boot. I never had this before with the other 4.13 subversions.

I do not have a screenshot from the shutdown panic. But I remember that it was showing ext4 spin down and such.

But for the boot panic I have 2 screenshots which I attach here. To me it looks like the crash has again to do with filesystem and bfq.

[Stable Update] 2017-09-30 - Timeshift, Kernels, Nvidia, JADE, Haskell, JDK9, Snap Support

Take a look in the latest stable announcement thread, there is a workaround for this.

I added elevator=cfq to grub. I keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks
Matthias

Just make sure you regenerate grub afterwards

sudo update-grub

i have got this error on cold boot ,
reboot did not produce this error

booting with 4.9 failback to deadline , and it is faster than BFQ
imha , there is a race on the BFQ-scheduler and systemd cannot tells which process is responsible of that

found this modifications for 4.13.4
5 days block: directly insert blk-mq request from blk_insert_cloned_request() Jens Axboe 3 -1/+23
5 days block: Relax a check in blk_start_queue() Bart Van Assche 1 -1/+1

i go back with deadline , same error ( goback to linux49 )

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/60-60-schedulers.rules

# set deadline scheduler for non-rotating disks
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="deadline"
# set bfq-mq scheduler for rotating disks ( ko failback to deadline )
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="deadline"

This should be fixed with v4.13.4-3.

@philm
you should put request for patch BFQ on kernel linux

Issue got introduced via f3ae0f2 and a731bfa should fix it. I’ll test it with a new v4.14 build to see if it works. Upstream discussion can be followed here.