Kernal 5.10 Cpupower not setting peformance governor

I am stuck with ondemand governor with the latest 5.10, I activated the service and made the change, nor it sets it nor it does on reboot with the service on.

cat /etc/default/cpupower                 
# Define CPUs governor
# valid governors: ondemand, performance, powersave, conservative, userspace.
governor='performance'

More info, other than the first 3 lines of a config file is probably helpful.

Barring that, read this

schedutil (since Linux 5.10) for CPUs using the acpi-cpufreq driver.

This means I can’t run performance on 5.10? maybe I should trust the kernel in this

Yeah, that’s the way to do it but it seems 5.10 made changes to schedulers

Hi @binarydepth,

I successfully toggle my CPU governor between “powersave” and “performance” with the following command(s):

• To change to “performance”:
$ sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance
  • To change to “powersave”:
sudo cpupower frequency-set -g powersave
  • To check what it’s set to at the moment:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Hope this helps.

Edit:
To check you current CPU frequency, or frequencies for multithreads, use

watch -n.1 "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep \"^[c]pu MHz\""
1 Like

Hi. I know this is th way but it’s not switching. I’m overclocking my CPU FYI. The CPU seems to work fine because I’m getting 120 fps anyways. Ondemand governor is much better than Windows version so maybe it’s fine.

I’m guessing so. And I almost think, but I’m obviously not sure that it wouldn’t work on an over clocked CPU. It kind of overrides the defaults, so that’s why I don’t think it’ll work.

Ah ok, then it’s pointless because I would be using lower clocks. Anyways the ondemand seems to work great. I’ll try setting the OC off and see performance.

Perfect then! Really glad all is in order, now!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.