Keeping your ssd healthy...

If you have not seen this, here's a neat trick (on systemd):

4 Likes

nice - thanks, great tip - have enabled the service, will see how it goes

It's neat but nowhere near as new to systemd or Fedora for that matter as the article makes out. I used it with Fedora 24 when I first got an SSD but it had already been added since Fedora 21 and also to RHEL 7 and CentOS 7 by then too.

The only change is really enabling it as default for new users installing the OS.

NB - refer to the Arch SSD wiki and make sure you apply tweaks in the correct files and directories if tempted to try anything I collated for Fedora 24, some of the files concerned and paths differ. Saving stuff in the wrong place means it will be ignored.

This has been standard in Arch wiki, Manjaro wiki, and so forth for more than a few years now ..
(though the way its made out here is kinda reversed. Its more important for older hardware or software to use periodic trim (fstrim or its systemd timer) because they might not support continuous trim (discard) or implement it poorly. Just about any ssd you bought in the last few years (and any up-to-date arch based system) can probably handle discard fine - but periodic trim is still the standard for a few reasons.. )

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive#TRIM

My Manjaro 18.0.4 "Illyria" installation used discard out-of-the-box, and I have manually disabled that and enabled systemd-fstrim.timer.

It's not a matter of whether SSDs can handle discard well ─ they all can, really ─ but discard comes with a performance penalty. So having the trimming taken care of by systemd-fstrim.timer ─ which is set up by default to trim once a week, midnight on Sunday ─ is still the preferred option. :wink:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by