Plymouth flicker on Linux 5.19

On Linux 5.19 the Plymouth screen flickers on boot. What actually happens: The manufacturer logo shows up, The screen dims, Then the Theme Loading screen shows up and you get to the DM. I tested with a lot of themes, the same thing happens. Any help will be appreciated.

Dev Team forgot to push latest rebuild to stable w/ some bootsplash patches:

Sorry I didn’t post this before but here is my graphics info:
sudo inxi -G

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Quanta HP TrueVision HD Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (TGL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.4

Is there any info on when they will push the changes to stable?

I’m using kernel 5.19.1-3 now. The patches were supposed to be applied in 5.19.0-4. Plymouth is still flickering.

bootsplash =/= plymouth

There are no Plymouth patches.

How long does it take to boot? If it’s only a matter of seconds, then Plymouth possibly doesn’t have enough time to load properly. I would just remove it. No need for eye candy if there isn’t even enough time for it to execute.

Turns out this is completely unrelated to Plymouth. It seems to be the i915 kernel module in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. I removed Plymouth, the Plymouth hook in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, and all the kernel parameters and booted. If I booted without the i915 module, it would boot normally with all the text scrolling and then blank the screen for one second and immediately shows SDDM. But if I boot with the i915 kernel module some text will show then the screen blanks for one second with all the text freezing and then comes back. After that the text starts scrolling again, but now the mouse appears first above the text and then SDDM comes.

Why did you add it? There are only certain cases where an early KMS start might be useful.

If I don’t add it, on boot, only the manufacturer’s logo shows up. The Plymouth screen only displays on shutdown.

How does the boot image on Manjaro works?

I have a beautiful “Thinkpad” logo on boot, but I have no idea how it is implemented (yet).

The OEM logo is determined by…

…wait for it…

…your OEM. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bootsplash and Plymouth are custom boot screens that execute after the OEM logo displays and which one can customize with themes if desired.

Actually, I use the Plymouth Manjaro theme, which displays the Manjaro logo and a progress bar under my OEM logo (HP).

You didn’t answer my question, but don’t worry I’ve answered myself.

Here is the relevant info Silent boot - ArchWiki

It seems the kernel retains the framebuffer (the logo) and displays it after grub.