KDE Plasma: Error messages on program failure appear in strange, unintended script

I’ve had a strange problem with the language of error messages that appear when a program crashes to the desktop. The error message appears in a script I can’t read. I would provide an example, but as a new user, I can’t share hyperlinks or images, and I can’t copy and paste the text from the dialog box. It looks like Arabic, or maybe an Indian script. Hard to say.

Often, these programs are games, but it’s a consistent problem across different programs, which makes me think a setting must be wrong. If a setting is wrong, though, I can’t tell which one. $LANG is en_US.UTF-8. locale.conf reads:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8

I’m a fairly new, casual user, so I probably don’t know what I need to check. Any help would be appreciated. I’m happy to provide any information necessary to fix this problem.

I’m running KDE Plasma 5.23.3 on Linux 5.10.79-1-MANJARO (64-bit), with an Intel i3-6100 CPU and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU. I run the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

Welcome.

see here:

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I don’t see ~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh, but ~/.config/plasma-localerc reads:

[Formats]
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Which seems to be correct.