KDE Network Manager and "limited connectivity"

Hey guys, pretty much fresh install, about 72hrs in and constantly getting this message from the network manager. Disabling/Re-enabling wireless does nothing but rebooting clears it for a little while. Prior to Manajro I was running Kubuntu which I (think) was running the same ver of KDE. Never happened with that before so I don’t know if this is a driver thing or what. How do you go about troubleshooting this? Annoying as hell. It seems to work fine while that message is showing but it’s driving me crazy.

It’s a Thinkpad T510 with Intel 6200 wireless.

The last time I had this problem it was due to KDE testing the internet connection by trying to connect to a site like kde.org or something similar. At the time, the “test” site was being restricted by my ISP with it either being unconnectable or very very slow.

There is a way to configure it with a different site or even disable it. I can’t remember offhand how. Maybe another user or google can point you in the right direction.

Here’s the config:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Checking_connectivity

3 Likes

I had a similar issue with my wired connection. It turned out to be a faulty old cable. Old cables can apparently start to have some signal stability issues due to age. For me, Win10 worked fine, even if the connection wasn’t as fast as it should’ve been, Manjaro with KDE sometimes claimed limited connectivity and at others no connection.

What I’m aiming for here is: Do you have a cable going from your router to a wall socket and how old is that cable? I felt it was a really dumb idea at first when it was suggested to me, but replacing the cable solved the problem and also all speed issues were solved.

That was the right path, I created /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf as per the wiki but it didn’t tell you how to disable the check, I tried their sample and commenting out that line thinking it being there but commented out would do it, but some further googling let me to adding

which did it! It’s been hours and it hasn’t come back, prior it took about 30min or so and would do it every time.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.