KDE Manjaro installation partitioning

Hi guys.
I'm currently running a dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu on my laptop.
When I'm trying to install Manjaro I can't see any partitions and it says in the Partition manager that there is no valid partition table on this device.
What can I do?
Many thanks,
Omer

Do you know if you are booting using MBR+BIOS boot or UEFI?

I think I'm using MBR. How can I check?
I booted it through the grub commands.

I dont know, it should work either way. Is this the partition manager in the installer or the seperate partition manager app (gparted or KDE partition manager)?

In both of them. I checked at the installer and on the KDE one.

When booted in Ubuntu, what does the partition manager show? Same or something different. The output there will tells us the partition table. (not on a linux pc currently, so sorry for the vague pointers.

What did you use to write the live usb?

It does show the partitions.
I used rufus to write it.

There will be a way to get the info we need to help better - I just dont know it of the top of my head. Got busy here - might be able to help a bit more tomorrow - sorry

I'm bumping this topic. I could use some help.

Hi sorry - got real busy. On my linux box this weekend, so will be able to give better help (hopefully)

Can you post the output of sudo fdisk -l (this command will list all of your partitions with the details of the drive and partition table, will give us an overview of what we are working with).

Get the output of the command on Ubuntu and Manjaro live if you can. That will help a lot :slight_smile:

Hi thanks for the reply.
The output of the Ubuntu about this disk is:
Disk /dev/sda: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x597c6f3e

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 1026047 1024000 500M 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 1026048 343244799 342218752 163.2G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 343244800 483923968 140679169 67.1G 5 Extended
/dev/sda4 483923968 500117503 16193536 7.7G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda5 343246848 483923967 140677120 67.1G 83 Linux

and the Manjaro Live USB's is:

To check if you're booting UEFI or MBR type in a terminal on the system (After you chroot in):
ls /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
If nothing is listed you are in MBR. If you get a long list of stuff, EFI.

I'm going to take a guess from you output just now and say MBR.

Ok thanks! I am surprised that the fdisk is shown. So I would assume that you are not booting using UEFI (might want to double check that) with Ubuntu at least. Since the is no efi partition shown.

I don't know if manjaro is trying to boot into efi mode however.

Ok so after I've checked I'm booting through MBR.
How can I proceed from here?

It is really odd to me that fdisk shows the partitions, but you cannot see it in gparted. (or calamares, the installer)

I am poking around to see if I can find anything relevant. You did the check while you were on the live usb right? ls /sys/firmware/efi/efivars?

1 Like

It did say that there is no such file or directory so I figured that I'm booting through the BIOS/MBR and not UEFI.

Yep - that sound correct then. It should be fine.
Try sudo parted. then once the (parted) prompt shows, type in print. Does it give you the same output as fdisk?

1 Like

No. It says "Error: Can't have overlapping partitions".
It said that even when I checked on the Gparted at ubuntu. However, after I closed the error screen (on Ubuntu) it did show me the partitions.
On the KDE Partition Manger it does not show me any partitions.

Ok that might be the reason we cannot pick it up in KDE partition manager or calamares. Both (afaik) use libparted.

Ok, so lets figure out how to fix the overlapping partitions. Did you recently do anything with partitions. Or have you ever rescued your partition table or something? Will help to get a bit of history there.

I don't think I've ever played or messed around with the partitions...

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark