KDE: make "System Settings => Personalization => Regional Settings => Formats" only allow you to choose from installed locales

(old title was: bash UTF8 friendly by default.)

right now I fixed it for myself adding to the end of .bashrc
export LC_ALL=et_EE.UTF-8

(en_US.UTF-8 would have probably worked also; not even sure what it uses by default, but it hates UTF8)

if using LC_ALL is not “recommended” then make bash use whatever else but right now only this seemed to work for me to make bash show öäüõ letters correctly and not some ``\303\244’` symbols instead of letters.

I’m not sure i follow … I have 3 layouts
US, RO and ES
I can get any character like ÎÂĂñ in any application, including the terminal for listing files and folders, or commands.

This is not recommended, except for troubleshooting.
If you have a problem, you should ask for assistance/advice.
Then, if really something is wrong, do a feature request :wink:
…unless you are an expert, so please, explain what you mean.

my idea was/is that out of the box manjaro (kde) installation should be more polished and less “gringy”.

right now my out of the box fresh install experience was this in GUI Konsole:

[deemon@AncientOne test]$ touch öäüõ.txt
[deemon@AncientOne test]$ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 deemon deemon 4096 Mar 23 03:11  .
drwx------ 32 deemon deemon 4096 Mar 23 03:11  ..
-rw-r--r--  1 deemon deemon    0 Mar 23 03:11 ''$'\303\266\303\244\303\274\303\265''.txt'
[deemon@AncientOne test]$ 

This is just silly. I’d rather not have to ask for help to fix it, but this should be right out of the box.

EDIT: This might be also Konsole bug or shortcoming though. Because if I use CTRL-ALT-F2 and login from there, then the letters show correctly.

EDIT2: after messing around with locale and locale-gen I got it now working without any additions to .bashrc (removed the export line I added previously, and it shows now correctly.).

Could it be that when changing KDE Settings => Personalization => Regional Settings => Formats => and setting there something to previously unused new language (or to any language NOT in the “KDE Settings => Manjaro => Locale => System locales”) – because it pretty much lets you choose whatever format language there – makes something broken (because on this case locale-gen is not ran and the new needed locale is not generated) and freaks Konsole out?

EDIT3: INDEED! This is the case. Set for example KDE Settings => Personalization => Regional Settings => Formats => Currency: Finland (sms_FI) ( LC_MONETARY = “sms_FI.UTF-8” ).
“locale -a” does not list this new locale installed AND konsole output is broken now again.

Make KDE Settings => Personalization => Regional Settings => Formats” to run locale-gen afterwards with all the new languages added there. OR let you choose only from the languages/locales you have set in KDE Settings => Manjaro => Locales, not from all the possible languages like right now.
Because right now if you play around in Personalized Format options you break locales and thus many programs start acting weird. (Including Konsole, which loses UTF8 support)

2 Likes

Yes, I have troubles like this right now.

I'm Finnish, and prefer to use our formats, but like to keep the language in English for ease of communication for troubleshooting and whatnot (not to mention that Finnish translations tend to be absent or incomplete, in Manjaro and elsewhere).

Right now, Manjaro doesn't seems to(?) offer a good middle ground for this, which would be en_FI.UTF8, whereas KDE does. Problem with switching to this under KDE is that the terminal output starts complaining about misconfigured locale. Also, some programs seem to think I'm using a 12-hour clock, since I use en-US.UTF8.

Edit: Fixed the 12-hour clock by switching to en_GB.UTF8, but since fi_FI.UTF8 is the only option for formats on Manjaro right now, things like logs still use Finnish month names, the date & time widget uses Finnish for the hover tooltip, but English when opened etc.

Forum kindly sponsored by