KDE Instant Messaging signond not working with Google, Skype Lync

I just switched to Manjaro because Arch Linux seems to be where all the actual fixes come from. I have been a .deb and .rpm Linux user (end user) for over a decade.

Further I recently switched to KDE due to Mate switching to GTK3 which I am not fond of.

Anyway, there is an Instant messaging (Telepathy) app built into KDE that allows you to add an “Online Account” and access hangouts, Telegram, Skype, Lync, etc. etc.

This signond KDE package doesnt work on Debian, Ubuntu, or any derivative there of like Kubuntu, KDE Neon, etc…

On Manjaro it works better because at least i can add an account. In the aforementioned distros the sign in window doesn’t even pop up. The problem is the Instant messaging guy in the systray just says Offline… Connecting… and when i click “Go Online” nothing ever happens.

I dont know how to get some type of error messages so I cannot post them here, and further cannot investigate the error myself, not that I would be able to fix it.

Tke Kio Gdrive works which also uses “Online Accounts”

Also the Kmail and others Kontact, Kcalendar work but you sign onto them differently and they dont use the “Online Accounts” but you need to establish 2 factor auth and get an app password from google to be able to send email through a gmail account.

There are a million tickets in ubuntu, KDE bugs, Arch, Reddit and on and on… Apparently its been going on for quite some time.

The KDE bug reports I have been following state that the issue is “Resolved Upstream” but that doesn’t help fix the issue for current users and I have no idea how long it will take to get that patch out to desktops.

Also, there seems to be issues like this going back to 2013 maybe? If you really dig through Google you find brand new tickets like 2019 and 2020 and previous tickets from like the 2013 2015 time frame.

I mean, what’s the point of having this feature if its broken? lol. Seriously.

The reason for this post is: Does anyone know how to fix this issue, workaround it or otherwise resolve this?

This feature, albeit an entirely different setup (for lack of a better term), works seamlessly on Gnome and such like Mate…

Manjaro so far seems pretty awesome! I was always been shy of Arch based distros because they are more for “Super User” but I’m glad I gave it another go, 10 years has made significant progress!

I just wanted to follow up on this and see if there were any possible alternatives since the instant messaging (telepathy) is broken. Is there an alternative Google Hangouts app that anyone suggests that allows for multiple accounts (so I don’t have to have 3 browser windows open. The Chrome Hangouts extension requires Chrome to be open and YakYak is only a single account. I’m really missing the Gnome account integration but KDE is so much better, like light years better. I just wish somehow the Telepathy feature would work… :frowning: Anyway, if anyone has alternative suggestions I would love to try them out!