KDE display only low resolution

Using VB, I can only set the new KDE 18.1.3 ISO to display in low resolution. The install I did 9 months ago using 18.0.3 works just fine. What changed since February?

XFCE and Mate both change to 1920x1080.

Here is what I got now --

$ inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8370D] driver: radeon v: kernel Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: radeon FAILED: ati unloaded: modesetting
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz OpenGL: renderer: AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.19.84-1-MANJARO LLVM 9.0.0) v: 4.3 Mesa 19.2.4

your display driver is not working.

Yes, but this is working for me in my production machine right now and has been for 9 months.
If this affects my VB system, why is working for Mate and XFCE?

but it is.

common mistake but it's read like this

driver: radeon
FAILED: ati

ati is listed as failed because radeon is in fact loaded.

that inxi is from the host yes?

from the kde vm, install the virtual box guest modules.

2 Likes

Thanks.
Let me get back to you. I have to go out and run some errands.

1 Like

Does your host systems firmware (UEFI/BIOS) have virtualization turned on?

Do you have these installed on the host system?
linux{your kernel}-virtualbox-host-modules
virtualbox-guest-iso

and these in the vb guest machine:
linux{your kernel}-virtualbox-guest-modules
virtualbox-guest-utils - without this one you will have no accelerated graphics.

1 Like

I burned a DVD and it booted up right away into 1920x1080 resolution. The problem must be with VB.

So what is the story with needing guest files? It has always worked with just the host files. I just increase the Ram and disk spaces a little and then under Display increase the Video Memory to max 128 MB and click Enable 3D Acceleration.

The guest modules and utils are already on the live ISO.
Or at least they should be.
Let me guess, your running the 5.3 kernel on the host system?

No, it is the original.

$ uname -r
4.19.84-1-MANJARO

The guest is 5.3
Is that a problem?

I'm not 100% sure, but it very well could be.
That kernel has been a bit of a headache, especially with networking, but other things as well.

I am a if it works don't fix it kind of guy. This KDE has worked well for 9 months The only reason I'm thinking about reinstalling is to clean up the mess I have made experimenting. It is just easier than fixing it one piece at a time. And, at the end I know it will work.

Thanks for your help and the work you do as a maintainer.

check the vbox configuration for that particular vm and make sure the display is set to VboxVGA or VboxSVGA

1 Like

Bingo! That did it. It went to 1920x934, but I was able to change it to 1920x1080.
Thank you very much.

1 Like

i dont know why but for some reason the default display setting that vbox uses is one from vmware :man_shrugging:

glad to hear you got it working, :+1:

The explanation for doing that has got to be very interesting. Regardless, VB has been very good until a couple of months ago. Sure, Cinnamon has that software rendering mode warning, but my hardware is old.
I heard that there is now a way to test many distros online, but I have not checked it out yet.

i've tried it but i cant remember where it was, it was that memorable. :sweat_smile:

Is this the one? https://distrotest.net/

1 Like

yeah, thats the one.

OK. Thanks.

Forum kindly sponsored by