Change of mount location after Timeshift restore

After restoring my Timeshift snapshot the system works, but I saw that my drive under Devices “914,4 GiB Internal Drive (nvme0n1p1)” navigates to /run/timeshift/backup when clicked on. My lsblk shows following:

nvme0n1     259:0    0 931,5G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0 914,4G  0 part /run/timeshift/backup
│                                     /
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0  17,1G  0 part [SWAP]

What does this actually do, and can I get my mountpoint to be / again?

I don’t think you properly understand things. :frowning_man:

/run/timeshift/backup is where the backups are stored. Your / is your root directory. Restoring the backup simply means that the backed-up files are being written back to your root filesystem, overwriting what was there earlier.

I mean when I click my hard drive from the Devices menu it directs me to /run/timeshift/backup in my Dolphin file browser, when it used to redirect me to /. Is this a Dolphin issue then?

I guess so. Maybe your main drive has been marked as hidden.

every time i do a snapshot in Timeshit; right clickinging on the hard drive/propreties,shows “/” as Timeshift or the sorts.
but a reboot brings back “/”.

@kirkkis22, for me that looks like you have selected your / partition as location for your timeshift snapshots, which is a bit temerarious IMHO. :woozy_face:

1 Like

@Wollie
do you mean it should be put on an exteranl HD?
in Timeshift settings,under location i can only choose nvme0n1p2.

@linub, I always would recommend to use another disk for the snapshots than the system disk, otherwise your backup is compromised whenever you have an issue with your system disk. Yes, an external HD could be a good idea (actually that’s what I use),

3 Likes

I set up a 64 GiB USB stick for timeshift today. I hope that Timeshift then also mounts itself, otherwise I have to enter the fstab. The “problem” of @kirkkis22 I also had, because I was too lazy to set up an extra partition for Timeshift.

I had to look up that word. :open_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

If you tell timeshift where to store the snapshots and you’re pointing it at a filesystem that isn’t mounted, timeshift will mount it itself. However, it will not unmount the filesystem again after the backup was made. So if you’re going to be using a removable medium for storing your backups, then you’ll have to cleanly unmount it before removing it again.

In addition to that, a USB stick does not support TRIM, and therefore you will quickly be wearing out the stick if you’re going to be making periodic backups on it. Furthermore, USB sticks usually come preformatted with ntfs, exfat or vfat, and neither of those filesystems support hard-links, which is what rsync ─ and by consequence, timeshift ─ uses.

2 Likes

@Aragorn : OK, I have of course formatted the stick with ext4. Erwurde mounted by Timeshift, but is of course a bit slow in writing. As for the TRIM: I once read that only partitions, which are in the fstab, are trimmed, so that is already omitted for the stick. It will probably boil down to the fact that I will create another partition for Timeshoft on the SSD, on which / is located, and also enter this in the fstab. The only question is where to mount it. Either I use /media or I create a separate folder for it (/timeshift for example).

No, all read/write-mounted filesystems are trimmed. Unmounted and read-only-mounted filesystems are not trimmed, regardless of whether they’re listed in /etc/fstab or not.

As for the mountpoint, timeshift will always mount the filesystem with the snapshots under /run somewhere, because it doesn’t rely on /etc/fstab.

I am aware of that. It would then be mounted at two points at the same time. My only concern was that the partition is mounted at system startup to allow trimming at any time. But that will probably not be necessary, right?

No, that’s not required. timeshift will automatically mount the designated target filesystem if it’s not already mounted.

1 Like

thx @Aragorn :+1:t2:

1 Like

Dolphin has started to show my PCIe SSD where my timeshift snapshots are stored like this under Devices recently as well. The path is /run/timeshift/backup instead of what I’ve set the mount point as in fstab, /mnt/faaast.

While this is just a cosmetic issue, I’ve been trying to find a way to specify which path Dolphin would use :grin:

My lsblk looks like this, as expected, I guess:

~ >>> lsblk                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 465,8G  0 disk  
├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part  /boot/efi
└─sda2   8:2    0 465,3G  0 part  /
sdb      8:16   0 186,3G  0 disk  
└─md0    9:0    0 744,7G  0 raid0 /run/timeshift/backup
                                  /mnt/faaast
sdc      8:32   0 186,3G  0 disk  
                                  /mnt/faaast
sdd      8:48   0 186,3G  0 disk  
                                  /mnt/faaast
sde      8:64   0 186,3G  0 disk  
                                  /mnt/faaast

I’ve been experiencing this exact same issue. It seems that saving to the /run/timeshift/backup location saves the contents to the proper “non-timeshift” original path but it is somewhat annoying cosmetically. It seems a reboot fixes it but returns as soon as timeshift runs again.

Please don’t necro-bump.