Just one partition

Hello, when i reinstalled manjaro 3 months ago i didnt split my partition. So i only have one now. I realized that for example timeshift doesnt work appropriate that way. Can i do something about it?

Sure it does. You can perfectly tell timeshift what to back up and what not.

If you have to ask, then the answer is probably “no”. :wink: But there’s no real need to, as long as you make backups.

Furthermore, we don’t even know what filesystem you’re using. :man_shrugging:

Sorry, ext4 it is.

I see, thank you. I wrote about it in another Post. That you should make your timeshift updates in another partition, so i thought ill ask.

Yes, and preferably on a separate disk. Because otherwise, if you experience a disk failure, then your backups will be gone too.

1 Like

Ok dont you use it as a system restore program?

I’m not sure what you mean. My system is installed on an internal SSD, and I store my backups on an internal HDD. I can always restore my system from the backups if I need to — I already have, for that matter.

Furthermore, you can even restore your backups by way of the live USB, because timeshift is part of the ISO — except maybe the minimal ISOs, because there is some discussion about whether it should be included there — as long as you tell timeshift where the backups are stored and where they must be restored to.

1 Like

Im a bit confused, i just read so many things about timeshift that dont fit together in my brain. I have a SDD, how can i use timeshift as best as possible for my purpose of system restoring in case something goes wrong. I have a backup of my home drive and all on a USB, made it with deja-doup.

• You can store backups on an external medium — in fact, this is even safer, in case your computer gets lost in a house fire or something — as long as there’s enough room on that medium for storing multiple backups.

• timeshift has two modes of operation…:
    ° 1. btrfs snapshots — these are not backups, but “rollback” images on the same filesystem;
    ° 2. real backups by way of rsync — these are copies, but in a clever way, because unaltered files are not copied but hard-linked.

• Making backup copies on the same filesystem is pointless. If your machine becomes unbootable or suffers filesystem damage, then you lose access to your backups as well.

• Making backups on another partition on the same drive is also pointless, because if the drive fails, then you lose your backups as well.

The ideal solution would be to get yourself an additional drive — e.g. a USB-connected SSD or HDD — and use that for storing your backups on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.