Just installed Manjaro, but I'm having a problem downloading applications

When I try installing apps from Terminal (Discord in this case) using sudo pacman -S PACKAGENAME i get this error -

error: could not open file /var/cache/pacman/pkg/discord-0.0.12-0-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst: Unrecognized archive format

error: failed to commit transaction (cannot open package file)

Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

And when I try installing the package from Package Manager I get this error -

Failed to commit transaction:

cannot open package file

Does anyone know what’s causing this error? Any help is appreciated

Edit: The Problem was that i used an old ISO

hi

Can you return here pacman -V, install with iso version/number ?
zst is a new format for pacman since 9 months

where did you find that way about installing software via Manjaro’s terminal?

Discord is in Manjaro’s repo,

[tmo@msi ~]$ pacman -Ss discord
community/discord 0.0.12-0
    All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free and secure.

To install a software package, the basic syntax is pacman -S packagename. However, installing a package without updating the system will lead to a partial upgrade situation so all the examples here will use pacman -Syu packagename which will install the package and ensure the system is up to date.

so

[tmo@msi ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu discord

or pamac install discord

See Manjaro wiki about pacman: :point_right: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman

:point_right: about pamac: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pamac

:point_right: If a software is not in the official repos you can install it from Arch User Repository - Manjaro

:point_right: The Manjaro wiki

1 Like

If you get for what ever reason an error with ZSTD not supported as archive format you can do this:

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S pacman-static
sudo pacman-static -Syyu

I’m assuming you used some very old install .iso. Arch and Manjaro switched to zstd packaging format. With old, not updated system it cannot update itself because of the Unrecognized archive format. Hence, the need to install a pamac version that can go around it.

pacman -S appname

is the standard and official install command on pacman. There could be additional options for installation but the base is just -S .

It was not clear enough as it was his first post what he was trying to do, for a moment I thought he was trying to install a locally downloaded package from somewhere bypassing the repo -which in his case should be installed with the -U switch-, then I saw the path was actually /var/cache/pacman/… :laughing: But anyway these posts full of wiki links never hurt, on the contrary :slight_smile:

My guess is OP used an old ISO.
Its probably best/easiest to simply suggest using a current image.

What version of the Manjaro ISO are you using?

Seems like i used an older version (17.1)
My bad

Try the most recent version 20.1: Downloading File / - Manjaro Linux - OSDN

1 Like