Issues with Optimus Switch GDM - GDM defaults to "llvmpipe", videos still lag, need help diagnosing

Hello,
Another duel graphics issue. Specs are below, I tried optimus switch (gdm) and everything works fine except that .mp4 and .avi video files lag when played in the Video app, audio is fine.

Version: Kyria 19.0.2
Kernel: 5.4.23
GNOME: 3.34.4
GPU: (intel only) VGA intel uhd graphics 630 (disabled) Geforce MX250
GPU Driver: video-nvidia-440xx (2019.25.10)

EDIT: recent problem I have found is Gnome defaults to llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1, 256 bits) in Settings/Details/About/Graphics when it should be using IntelUHD 630.

(1)several (2) Ubuntu forums list this error for GDM, but the fixes are all relevant to Ubuntu only.

Initially I tried nvidia prime mode and booted to a black screen. Intel only mode booted to GDM, but all original issues persisted (unable to play .mp4 and .avi files, discord and chromium glitch out).

Through googling I was told to check the xorg.conf file. The author of optimus-switch suggests to fall back to Direct Rendering Infrastructure (1) instead of the default (3). This solved all the original problems, however the video files still lag.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "DRI" "1"             # DRI2 and DRI1 are alternatives if DRI3 performs performs poorly
        Option      "TearFree" "True"
        #Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna" # default
        #Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa" # fallback
     EndSection

how else can I diagnose this issue and potentially get the videos to flow naturally, without lag? As well as Gnome recognizing the proper GPU? Thank you for any help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by