I’m trying to run my TV off my desktop via an HDMI cord to the other side of the room, and while the video side is working great, I can’t get audio to go through the HDMI connection to the speakers that are attached to the TV. Everything seems to be correct, I just… don’t get sound. Here’s the general state of the situation:
- The HDMI cable is 25 feet, so it’s long but not overwhelmingly so; the HDMI source is my two-month-old RTX3060
- There is an HDMI device available in the audio settings; it just doesn’t result in any audio output when it’s selected
- I get audio out of the TV-attached speakers if I use the smart TV functionality to go to Youtube or wherever
- I get audio out of my desktop speakers just fine if those are selected
- It’s not just the program I’m using to test, as the settings panel’s test option also produces no audio
Interestingly, sometimes when I switch to or from the HDMI output in the audio panel, it causes the displays to all refresh. If I run
speaker-test on that device, it causes the TV specifically to continuously refresh.
I did briefly get audio out of the TV speakers initially; I checked the box to create an ‘all audio outputs simultaneously’ device and that got output out of both the desktop speakers and the TV speakers. I decided not to use it because the audio wasn’t quite synchronised, but when I switched off of it the TV audio just ceased to output at all through the HDMI connection and hasn’t come back, even after a reboot.
Any idea what’s going on here? Again, as far as I can tell all of the various devices are all set up and available correctly; I just don’t actually get sound through the HDMI connection.
(this is the KDE version of Manjaro; kernel version 6.1.26-1.)